Oddball motor, 462 1967 Lincoln Continental

Rusty67

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 3, 2002
Seattle area, WA
I was at my buddies exhaust shop the other day talking to him about stuff and somehow this came up. He was telling me about this one year motor. He said Ford offered it in the 1967 Lincoln Continentals as an option. Supposedly a 462CID motor. He said that it ran the PS pump directly off of the crank. He told me they only offered it one year and it is a total oddball motor. Not much interchanges with the other FE motors. Anyone heard anything about this ?

• Sponsors (?)

That engine is part of the MEL family.
(Mercury Edsel Lincoln)
It was made for several years. 67 was the last year IIRC.
The 429/460 replaced it in 68 or 69.
The MELs came from the 50s and are closer related to the Y-block than the FE.
They started out as 430s, or possibly even smaller.
They were pumped up to 462 cubes around 64 or so.

Oh yeah, they are not performance oriented.
The old technology makes them heavy, overly complex, and they are relatively expensive to work on nowadays.

Torque motors

They were very torque oriented motors, they needed it to move those giant cars. The custom guys now are pulling them and putting in 460's because of the aftermarket availability of performance parts. Love tha old 60's Lincolns.

Check out this site for custom mafia style cars::D :D :D :D
www.mobsteel.com

Kevin

They were very torque oriented motors, they needed it to move those giant cars. The custom guys now are pulling them and putting in 460's because of the aftermarket availability of performance parts. Love tha old 60's Lincolns.

Check out this site for custom mafia style cars::D :D :D :D
www.mobsteel.com

Kevin

Hmmm...that'd make them perfect for a rat rod! Most of the engines you see in those are motors that are practically throwaways. Half are literally giveaway Chevy 305's, 307's, and 235 straight sixes...

BTW that mobsteel site is awesome.

I'm relatively certain that if ported the heads properly and installed a matching set of valves/custom grind cam along with a good set of headers that this motor would be quite beastly.

I tried some google searching but I havn't been able to come up with any pics of the pump or a front shot of the motor. Best I've seen is a top down shot.

It was popular around here to pull the FE 360 motors from the 68-79 Factory Highboy 4x4's and put in the 430 engines because of the torque.

I believe the Lincoln was the only 460 that had the crank ran PS. The T-birds shared this motor, but it had a belt turned PS. I had a built 429 in my Highboy, sure liked the torque but hated the 6-7mpg. She miss the truck, but not the gas stations I now pass with my Cummins Diesel.:)

Kevin

I was at my buddies exhaust shop the other day talking to him about stuff and somehow this came up. He was telling me about this one year motor. He said Ford offered it in the 1967 Lincoln Continentals as an option. Supposedly a 462CID motor. He said that it ran the PS pump directly off of the crank. He told me they only offered it one year and it is a total oddball motor. Not much interchanges with the other FE motors. Anyone heard anything about this ?
I have one of these engine. it is a 462 and i need a water pump for it. [email protected]