Odometer gear repair

Greyfur

Mar 22, 2020
Europe
Hello

The odometer of my mustang has just recently stopped, and is not moving anymore (it is however slightly shivering when I drive which makes me assume it's not the motor but the drive gears.)

However, my car's a canadian model with a kph speedo and odometer, which, living in Europe, I would like to keep. If I buy one of those gear fix kits, is it going to change the odometer's speed?

Thanks!
Conor

• Sponsors (?)

When Mine went bad and I replaced it, I found that the plastic had basically began to breakdown and become a mush. On the type, I am not sure on there being a difference between working for miles or kilometers.

1-866-507-3786 - I just called LMR (I'm Bored at work) they have absolutely no clue if this will work correctly in a car that needs to read Kilometers. Nothing in their description or knowledge from other current employees have ever came across this question. The man I spoke with said that since most parts don't matter if the car is US or not, they never even would have thought of this part needing to be different. Since they cant find a designation that specifically says Miles or Kilometers, they "think" it will work.

1994-98 FORD MUSTANG ODOMETER REPAIR KIT

When Mine went bad and I replaced it, I found that the plastic had basically began to breakdown and become a mush. On the type, I am not sure on there being a difference between working for miles or kilometers.

1-866-507-3786 - I just called LMR (I'm Bored at work) they have absolutely no clue if this will work correctly in a car that needs to read Kilometers. Nothing in their description or knowledge from other current employees have ever came across this question. The man I spoke with said that since most parts don't matter if the car is US or not, they never even would have thought of this part needing to be different. Since they cant find a designation that specifically says Miles or Kilometers, they "think" it will work.

1994-98 FORD MUSTANG ODOMETER REPAIR KIT
If the number of teeth are the same they will be the same.

Reactions: 1 users
Conor take a good picture of the gears while they are still in place and make the comparison like Steve said, if the gears match, then they will function the same.

Thanks Steve, sometimes the obvious answer is overlooked

+1 on above.

Further I suspect if you were to take a picture of a MPH cluster and a KPH cluster you would note that for a given needle deflection they are the same. If so, the difference in the clusters is with the overlay behind the speedometer needle.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 on above.

Further I suspect if you were to take a picture of a MPH cluster and a KPH cluster you would note that for a given needle deflection they are the same. If so, the difference in the clusters is with the overlay behind the speedometer needle.
I'll bet you are right,but upon further thought the odometer is a direct mechanical hookup.So being that a mile is bigger than a KM, a gear somewhere must be different. And the plot thickens!!!!which ones????

I'll stay tuned.

+1 on above.

Yep, this is the same, as far as I can see. I have the small MPH inscriptions in the middle too, and the KPH ones on the outside, while on the MPH cluster this is, as far as I've seen, reverse.

I'll bet you are right,but upon further thought the odometer is a direct mechanical hookup.So being that a mile is bigger than a KM, a gear somewhere must be different. And the plot thickens!!!!which ones????

I'll stay tuned.
Is it? The pictures I have seen so far show a small electric motor powering the odometer gears. I mean, it is of course possible that the speed is the same, but the difference between mph and kph is signifcant - We will see.

If it's really in the gears I'll calculate the km in miles, reset the odometer and just let it count in miles.

Revisiting this - The large gear is identical with the one I bought and the worm drive seems to be the same as well. I assume that the difference is either in motor speed or in the third gear on the odometer dials.

I'll pop it into the car later and then we'll have definite news

Edit: Issue is fixed - still counting in KM as it was supposed to!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user