Off topic.. Looking for a good Fusion/Milan Hybrid site

tr7driver

Sep 5, 2006
Illinois
HI, I just picked up a Mercury Milan Hybrid. I'm looking for a good foum to learn about it. Any recommendations? I did a couple of Goog searches but haven't come up with anything useful. I figure some of the regular visitors here might have a recommendation. Thanks, Ted

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know of any forums that are specifically devoted to those cars, but you can ask here and I'll do my best to answer your questions. I'm a Ford senior master technician and am hybrid certified. Do you have any specific questions you're looking for an answer to?

I don't know of any forums that are specifically devoted to those cars, but you can ask here and I'll do my best to answer your questions. I'm a Ford senior master technician and am hybrid certified. Do you have any specific questions you're looking for an answer to?
Thanks for the response. At this point, I'm just looking to learn about the car, common weak points, do's and dont's. I don't have a manual but I did get the sync figured out. It's not as bad as I hear about it. I picked it up in California and drove it back to Illinois last week. Can I put a battery tender on it if I don't plan to drive it for a while? It sat for 6 weeks and the battery died. It took the dealer in California 2 days to get a replacement battery! Who do I call call for emergency service on a hybrid?

Yes you can use a battery tender on your car. Make sure it is a "smart" charger before leaving it hooked up for an extended period.

I believe the number you call for road side assistance is the same as any Lincoln/Mercury. That number is 800-521-4140

The Fusion & Milan hybrids have been on the road for awhile now and they are proving to be excellent vehicles. I can't remember one coming in for any kind of a hybrid system specific concern where I work. I do recommend getting an owners manual - lots of good info in there.

Thanks for the response. At this point, I'm just looking to learn about the car, common weak points, do's and dont's. I don't have a manual but I did get the sync figured out. It's not as bad as I hear about it. I picked it up in California and drove it back to Illinois last week. Can I put a battery tender on it if I don't plan to drive it for a while? It sat for 6 weeks and the battery died. It took the dealer in California 2 days to get a replacement battery! Who do I call call for emergency service on a hybrid?

Hi tr7driver,

Congratulations on the Milan!

You can download a copy of the Owner Guide through Owner.Ford.com. Roadside emergency services are located on page 234. Check out the link when you have a moment.

Noemi

Thanks for the link to the owners guide. What's got me spooked is that I had it towed to the Ford/Lincoln dealer on a Saturday afternoon, it sat until Monday when they diagnosed a dead battery and didn't get it repaired until Tuesday evening. I ended up flying back to Chicago and then flying back to Long Beach get the car 2 weeks later. I couldn't find anyone in the Long Beach area to even look at it when it died. Makes me nervous about taking it on trips.

If you had any type of vacuum leak or unmetered intake air leak, or an exhaust leak upstream of the catalytic convertor a check engine lamp would set. Why exactly do you want to test it for an exhaust or vacuum leak? Do you have a check engine lamp on?

If you had any type of vacuum leak or unmetered intake air leak, or an exhaust leak upstream of the catalytic convertor a check engine lamp would set. Why exactly do you want to test it for an exhaust or vacuum leak? Do you have a check engine lamp on?

No CEL. Something is rattling under the hood when the engine runs. I want to start it up and let it run so I can inspect it and find the cause. I'm thinking Ford must have allowed for a maintance mode to idle the engine in park, but I don't see anything in the owners book.

My guess... heat shield on one of the converters is rattling. Not something you want to try and find when they're hot. :D Use a small hammer or something else to tap the converters. If you get it to rattle, then have your friendly muffler shop, cut the heat shields off.

No CEL. Something is rattling under the hood when the engine runs. I want to start it up and let it run so I can inspect it and find the cause. I'm thinking Ford must have allowed for a maintance mode to idle the engine in park, but I don't see anything in the owners book.

I'd do what Noobz suggested first. However if the cat. covertor heat shield is the cause, take it to the dealer if it has under 80K miles - it should be covered by 8/80 federal emissions warranty.

If you can't find the rattle by banging on the exhaust some preferably with a rubber mallet there is a method to keep the engine running that may help you find the noise.

This is the procedure, carry out the following sequence EXACTLY to activate the engine running diagnostic mode:

• apply the parking brake
• place the gear selector in the PARK position
• ignition in the OFF position
NOTICE: Do not start the engine.
• ignition in the ON position with the engine OFF
• within 5 seconds of the ignition in the ON position, fully apply the accelerator pedal and hold for
10 seconds
• within 5 seconds release the accelerator pedal, shift the gear selector to the DRIVE position and
fully apply the accelerator pedal
• hold the accelerator pedal fully applied for 10 seconds
• release the accelerator pedal and shift the gear selector to the PARK position
If the sequence is correctly executed the powertrain malfunction indicator (wrench) flashes once
per second when the gear selector is shifted to the PARK position. The engine may be then started by
cycling the ignition to the START position as you would normally do to start the car.
The PCM exits the engine running diagnostic mode when the gear
selector is shifted to any gear other than PARK, when the ignition is turned to the OFF or ACC
position, or the powertrain or hybrid-electric system voltage exceeds calibrated limits.