Oh No. Is It Another One From Florida?

rockandrollfrankie

Active User
May 5, 2017
Tampa
Sure is! What's up guys and gals? I'm Frankie and I'm the new/old owner of a '95 Mustang GT. When I was a teenager my momma bought a Mustang. Well, that Mustang stayed with my Pop for years after she died, then ended up in the hands of a few friends for a piece in a magazine, and now, by some weird turn of events, the keys are in my hand. Sometimes the only way to drive the car you were begging to take out when you were 16 years old is to buy it 20 years later.

17190377_10212376165540727_1761218823535742116_n.jpg

I'll be here to pick some brains while getting this car back to its former glory. I'm also looking for a service manual I can download. Y'all got a PDF version floating around on this site by chance? I look forward to asking (and hopefully answering) a bunch of dumb questions.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Hey brother, welcome to Stangnet.

Very cool story and I understand the deep attachment to this particular mustang.

I'm going to move your thread to the '79-'95 General Talk subforum, there are lots of guys there that'll be interested in your "resurrection".

Tell us some details of your plans.

Good to have you with us.

Sweet thank you! I'm pretty psyched to have this car. It already has some nice work done to it like 18" Cobra wheels, off road x-pipe, 3.73 gears, Flowmasters, smog delete, EGR delete, etc.. My future plans are in this order:

1. Fix all the stuff that's wrong with it from years of neglect. I just got the AC blowing ice cold today ($50 charge and a $15 low pressure switch), now I just have to chase down rolling idle issues and my noisy power steering pump. 99% sure the car needs a new TPS. The car also desperately needs a paint job and some interior work. One of the previous owners rattle canned the roof and spoiler black, and the front seats and steering wheel are pretty wasted.

2. Suspension. Gotta make sure the car can handle before it can go fast! It's the stock suspension from 1995, so It's gonna get a complete overhaul and probably lowered 1.5".

3. Once the car looks good and handles well, then I'm going to start on the motor. I wanna do a standard GT40 top end swap, a small spray, and a Megasquirt ECM.

4. After the sprayed 302 gets boring I'm gonna find me a 351 and build a 408 stroker.

Somewhere in there I should probably replace the stock 5 speed. I understand they don't take too much power before milkshaking.

Reactions: 1 user
Sweet.
Just a note to help you out, there is a section in the 50 tech forums, technical thread/how to threads will help you out when it comes to your surging idle and checking codes.
There is also an interesting thread on a 12 second recipe by bob cosby.
The tech section is a perc here and was put together by many members that have been there done that and share the knowledge.
Good luck with your new found old friend.

Welcome to Stangnet. It's great to have you here interesting story by the way. If you have any questions feel free to ask everyone here is friendly and willing to help out. Sounds like some fun mods you plan on doing. Beautiful car you have there!

Sweet.
Just a note to help you out, there is a section in the 50 tech forums, technical thread/how to threads will help you out when it comes to your surging idle and checking codes.
There is also an interesting thread on a 12 second recipe by bob cosby.
The tech section is a perc here and was put together by many members that have been there done that and share the knowledge.
Good luck with your new found old friend.

Awesome, thanks! I read the one on the surging idle and I've got a mostly stable idle now. Well, did until I fixed up the AC today, but I just need to let it relearn the idle routine again.

What's weird is that it'll idle at like 1500-2000rpm as long as the car is moving, even in neutral. Soon as I come to a complete stop it'll drop back down to 900rpm. The TPS doesn't read within spec on my meter though, so it's likely the culprit, unless these cars are supposed to do that? Is that deliberate for some 1995 emission control or something? It's pretty annoying with the loud exhaust on this car. Makes me look like I don't know how to dive a clutch. Ha!

I read the one on the power steering pump too, and that seems like an easy fix. I might get to that soon and see if that flush and fill does the trick. Mine sounds like the car has a supercharger right now and it'll drag the idle down pretty hard while turning the wheel if the car is cold.

Anyway, pretty stoked to have a car to work on again, especially this one. I sold my last hot rod, a '67 Camaro, 3-4 years ago. I've been jonesing to turn some wrench! I just picked up a motorcycle project though, so I'm gonna have to divide some of my attention to that too. When it rains it pours I guess!

Welcome to Stangnet. It's great to have you here interesting story by the way. If you have any questions feel free to ask everyone here is friendly and willing to help out. Sounds like some fun mods you plan on doing. Beautiful car you have there!

Thanks for having me! Cool story on the car, right? It passed through a few folks over the years, and then a friend of mine who runs a hot rod shop in Seffner called me up like, "Hey, I have a proposition for you..." He ended up with the car in trade for some work he did on another car, and then sold it to me for a deal. It was great!

And thanks! It'll be much more beautiful once I get some paint on it though. The picture makes it look presentable, but it's pretty ragged looking. It has black interior too, which from what I understand isn't the most common. Is that right?

[QUOTE="rockandrollfrankie, post: 9047463, member: 216258]
What's weird is that it'll idle at like 1500-2000rpm as long as the car is moving, even in neutral. Soon as I come to a complete stop it'll drop back down to 900rpm. The TPS doesn't read within spec on my meter though, so it's likely the culprit, unless these cars are supposed to do that? Is that deliberate for some 1995 emission control or something? It's pretty annoying with the loud exhaust on this car. Makes me look like I don't know how to dive a clutch. Ha!

[/QUOTE]

TPS is usually given way too much credit for what it actually does. Spec is rather large on acceptable idle voltage. It's 0.5-1.19v. The car takes idle voltage and sets that each time you start the engine. No need to set it to a tight number.

I'd run the codes and see if that gives you any clue as to the hanging idle. Could be a few things. If it is the TPS, you'll get a code for it.

Here's some more tech help to get you on your way...

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

Welcome!
Your car has a great story. Looking forward to seeing your progress

Thank you!

TPS is usually given way too much credit for what it actually does. Spec is rather large on acceptable idle voltage. It's 0.5-1.19v. The car takes idle voltage and sets that each time you start the engine. No need to set it to a tight number.

I'd run the codes and see if that gives you any clue as to the hanging idle. Could be a few things. If it is the TPS, you'll get a code for it.

I forget what mine was reading, but I think it was less than .5v. Something like .018v. No CEL, but I just read your post and I'll check for any codes. So these cars aren't supposed to drone at 1500rpm while rolling to a stop? It's like clockwork. The second I come to a complete stop the idle goes back to totally normal. Sometimes the RPM's will even jump up between gears, instead of down when I disengage the clutch.

Thank you!

I forget what mine was reading, but I think it was less than .5v. Something like .018v. No CEL, but I just read your post and I'll check for any codes. So these cars aren't supposed to drone at 1500rpm while rolling to a stop? It's like clockwork. The second I come to a complete stop the idle goes back to totally normal. Sometimes the RPM's will even jump up between gears, instead of down when I disengage the clutch.

Not typical for it to do it. Should drop to idle as soon as clutch goes in. On the fox cars there is a switch on the trans and clutch pedal that signals the car is in nuetral and idle strategy would change. Usually when something isn't wired right here, you get a code 67 and hanging idle. Is this an original 5-SPd car or a swap? If your TPS is truely not outputting correct voltage there will be a code.

With obd1, not all codes trip the CEL like later obd2. This system of codes is rather primitive, so you just need to take it upon yourself to regularly check them. I'd invest in a reader like an Innova 3145 which can usually be had for $25. Good tool for any 86-95 owner to have.

Not typical for it to do it. Should drop to idle as soon as clutch goes in. On the fox cars there is a switch on the trans and clutch pedal that signals the car is in nuetral and idle strategy would change. Usually when something isn't wired right here, you get a code 67 and hanging idle. Is this an original 5-SPd car or a swap? If your TPS is truely not outputting correct voltage there will be a code.

With obd1, not all codes trip the CEL like later obd2. This system of codes is rather primitive, so you just need to take it upon yourself to regularly check them. I'd invest in a reader like an Innova 3145 which can usually be had for $25. Good tool for any 86-95 owner to have.

Okay cool, it didn't feel like a deliberate feature. This car is a stock 5 speed car. I will put the meter on the TPS and report back voltages. I'd do it today, but some dummy (me) forgot his keys in the city last night. :doh:

There's a good chance that somebody has disconnected the CEL in this car because it should probably be lit right now. I'll short the OBD port and see if it throws any codes though, you know, as soon as I can unlock the car. Ha!

Hey guys, I'm back! Got the engine (mostly) idling right with the A/C cranking. It'll dip a little low, but it seems steady. I assume that's normal for these cars? I checked my TPS voltages.

Idling: FullSizeRender 4.jpg

WOT: IMG_9559.JPG

I've read conflicting stuff on these TPS adjustments. Do I loosen it and twist it until I'm at .98-.99v or is that an old wives tale?

Hey guys, I'm back! Got the engine (mostly) idling right with the A/C cranking. It'll dip a little low, but it seems steady. I assume that's normal for these cars? I checked my TPS voltages.

Idling: FullSizeRender 4.jpg

WOT: IMG_9559.JPG

I've read conflicting stuff on these TPS adjustments. Do I loosen it and twist it until I'm at .98-.99v or is that an old wives tale?

Old wives tale

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure you've already been told on most cars anywhere really between .7 and 1.1 is fine . What you do want to test is that the TPS range from 0 to 5 volts is working from closed to WOT- you will see the volts rise as you open the throttle. It should be rather linear and not spike or stick.

Anytime you adjust the TPS you should check to see if a base idle reset it needed.

Looks like he's at 1.28v at idle, which is in fact out of range and should show a code 63 if he ran them.

Spec is 0.5- 1.19v. Anywhere in there is fine. Just target 0.8-1.0 and call it a day. No need to chase 0.99v

Looks like he's at 1.28v at idle, which is in fact out of range and should show a code 63 if he ran them.

Spec is 0.5- 1.19v. Anywhere in there is fine. Just target 0.8-1.0 and call it a day. No need to chase 0.99v

Code 63 is a non CEL code? I've got some time to kill this afternoon. Let me go short the diagnostic connector and see if I'm throwing anything.

Edit - Well, my CEL is either burnt out or disconnected, and I don't have a test light. I just picked up this sucker for $17 (used) on Amazon though:

http://a.co/1kV2RZG

$23 new isn't even a bad deal. Figured you guys might wanna pick one up for that price too.

Last edited: