Oil Burning MUSTANG! HELP!

Ever Since i bought my 1989 5.0 LX it has burned oil. It burns one quart every 500 miles (roughly). My mechanic said it was the O-rings because i only see blue smoke when i get into high RPM'S. I also heard on this forum that it is an easy fix if its the valve guide seals. To replace an O-rings i heard would be 1000$ because they need to take apart the engine. I was wondering how i can tell if my oil burning problem is from valve seal leaks or o-rings? is there an easy way? will a compression test tell me? or do they have to take off the valve covers? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

• Sponsors (?)

O-rings or Oil rings? it's pretty normal to use some oil but I would do a compression test and see where each cylinder come in at.. you can do it your self.. just buy a tester and screw it in the spark plug hole.. follow the instructions and you'll be fine. then make sure your PCV is working properally and your not sucking oil back into the intake and burning it off that way.. this is a very common problem.. Personally I plug the pcv valve and just run a breather at the Valve cover so that way i know the intake isn't getting soaked with oil. Also make sure you intake or rear main seal isn't leaking any oil. If your valve seals are leaking it will usually smoke when you first start the car after sitting for a while. the worn seals will allow oil to leak down and burn off when you start it. a good once over and a compression test should tell you a lot.

ponyboy19 said:
O-rings or Oil rings? it's pretty normal to use some oil but I would do a compression test and see where each cylinder come in at.. you can do it your self.. just buy a tester and screw it in the spark plug hole.. follow the instructions and you'll be fine. then make sure your PCV is working properally and your not sucking oil back into the intake and burning it off that way.. this is a very common problem.. Personally I plug the pcv valve and just run a breather at the Valve cover so that way i know the intake isn't getting soaked with oil. Also make sure you intake or rear main seal isn't leaking any oil. If your valve seals are leaking it will usually smoke when you first start the car after sitting for a while. the worn seals will allow oil to leak down and burn off when you start it. a good once over and a compression test should tell you a lot.

Thanks a lot pony boy! that really helped. I was wondering where i can pick up a compression tester?

ponyboy19 summed it up pretty well. Have someone start your car cold while you stand in back by the exhaust tips. If you immediately get puffs of blue smoke when the car is fired, then chances are your valve seals are shot. Next take the car out on the road and either you or your friend stand behind the car (this will only work if you have a 5-speed). Next run through the gears pretty hard running from 0-60. A great indicator of worn rings is between shifts, you will see big puffs of blue smoke out the exhaust on a hard run.
My guess though is that if you're burning 1 quart every 500 miles (and it's not leaking out the rear main seal, valve covers, or going through the pcv) then it's time for a rebuild, regardless of what the compression test tells you. Good luck.

I should also note that when i pull the rear passenger side spark plug, it is all oily and i have to change spark plugs because they foul up. I don't know if that would tell you much though, because either way the oil is getting into one of my combustion chambers...

Anyone else? wanna help