Oil capacity?

50Pilot

Sep 2, 2009
Auburn,WA
I probably look like numbnuts over here, but i just flipped through my owners manual and couldnt find it. Im told it was 5 and 6 and now im stuck in the middle, im gonna be running a quart of stabilizer too so i dont know if that counts as a quart of oil or not. So what the hell is it? lol

• Sponsors (?)

I dunno. What do you drive? A yugo?

And yes, a quart of stabilizer counts as a quart towards total capacity. If you add 5 quarts of oil and a quart of stabilizer, you now have 6 quarts in your pan and you are overfilled.

BTW a typical 5.0 takes 5 quarts..but no idea if this is what you were asking for.

Hey guys not sure if this thread is dead.

I changed my oil and was reading more than full at 4 quarts ( past the full cross hatch marker on the dipstick) For the sake of caution I didnt add the 5th quart, I was afraid of blowing my seals.

Now about a month later still reads full but check oil light is coming on.
Just to double check, I check oil level when engine is cold right? 5.0 302 calls for 5 quarts?

I just checked my oil again it was reading a quart low, I added a quart and now I'm what looks about a quart past full again. The check oil light did go out though.

Total amount of oil is 5 quarts, the one I just added was the 5th from the oil change.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks.

These cars take 5 quarts. Add 5 quarts, drive the car around, wait for it to cool down then check the dipstick. See where its at and make a mark there. That IS your fill line. Just make the mark with a razor blade.

Hey guys not sure if this thread is dead.

I changed my oil and was reading more than full at 4 quarts ( past the full cross hatch marker on the dipstick) For the sake of caution I didnt add the 5th quart, I was afraid of blowing my seals.

Now about a month later still reads full but check oil light is coming on.
Just to double check, I check oil level when engine is cold right? 5.0 302 calls for 5 quarts?

I just checked my oil again it was reading a quart low, I added a quart and now I'm what looks about a quart past full again. The check oil light did go out though.

Total amount of oil is 5 quarts, the one I just added was the 5th from the oil change.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks.

Fox Mustangs have a double hump oil pan from the factory. Did you pull both the front and rear drain plugs when you drained the oil? If you only drained the rear you could have left up to a quart of old oil in the front sump. Just FYI.

Yeah I pulled both plugs, front and back. Not much drained out of the front though.

So at the next oil change I'll add all five start it up and let it circulate. Once it cools off make my new full mark with a razor.

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.

I coulda swore when looking in the catalog at my work it said 4 quarts but they may have been w/o a filter. I always use 5 though.

EDIT: ah yes that is w/o filter.

can any of you guys give a straight answer without rambling off about the trees or some other S**t... How many quarts does a 5L oil pan hold... is it 5 quarts or 6 quarts or 4 quarts? How many F****n quarts???????

Like comon man a simple answer is perfect no need for the psycho babbling....
so How many quarts does a 5.0L take without a filter change and how many quarts does a 5.0L take with a filter change... short answers only

can any of you guys give a straight answer without rambling off about the trees or some other S**t... How many quarts does a 5L oil pan hold... is it 5 quarts or 6 quarts or 4 quarts? How many F****n quarts???????

Like comon man a simple answer is perfect no need for the psycho babbling....
so How many quarts does a 5.0L take without a filter change and how many quarts does a 5.0L take with a filter change... short answers only
Oil capacity with stock oil pan is 5 quarts including the filter. At least 3 people have already said that...

When you change the oil be sure to remove the drain plugs and drain both front and rear sumps.

The dipstick is a bigger liar than most fishermen that I have met.

Drain both front & rear sumps, put the drain plugs back in. Then change the filter and add 4 quarts oil. Start the engine and let it idle 2 minutes or so. Shut it off, wait 2 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and stick it back in. Pull it out again and take note of the oil level. I marked the dipstick with a scratch from a file at the 4 quart level.

Add the 5th quart, start the engine and let it idle 2 minutes or so. Shut it off, wait 2 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and stick it back in. Pull it out again and take note of the oil level; it won't be anywhere near the factory full marks. I marked the dipstick with a scratch from a file at the 5 quart level, which is about 1" above the factory full mark.

I concur the factory dipstick marks are wrong many times. I had to remark both my 92 and 93. Each one now has a new mark almost an inch above the factory marks. If I'd have kept paying attention to the factory marks, I'd be running around a qt low. Before I fixed the mark position, I'd get the low oil light occasionally even though the oil was showing full according to the incorrect factory mark.