Oil catch tank ?'s

• Sponsors (?)

GReddy Oil Catch Tank catches the oil and moisture in the blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake system and the engine. It keeps the engine clean even under hard driving conditions. It is also an excellent engine dress up item, gives it the race car look with the polished aluminum tank.

86bluecobra said:
GReddy Oil Catch Tank catches the oil and moisture in the blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake system and the engine. It keeps the engine clean even under hard driving conditions. It is also an excellent engine dress up item, gives it the race car look with the polished aluminum tank.

If this is how you really 'talk', you should write ads. :nice:

Roland69 said:
why do people use them and what do they do. I know they catch oil but things work fine without them don't they.

If things are pretty close to stock, things work really well.

Higher rpm/better breathing motors can challenge the stock pcv system.

jason

Roland69 said:
you ahh calling me stupid J/K So I would just split the line from my PCV valve and hook it up. Kinda like a in line fuel filter but for the pcv line if that makes any sense

No, not callin anyone stupid at all. The install is stupid simple (meant as encouragement to anyone who wants to install a separator, Jaz can, etc). You're right on about the routing.

The quick version (last one I did was on my '94 so YMMV, but you know the 5N95's anyhow). Get some 3/8" fuel line (I used hydraulic line, which was a pain since it is so stiff. I was concerned with fuel line crimping as it goes around my STB). Grab a separator of your choice. Grab fittings (my separator had 1/4" NPT threads, so I used a fitting with 1/4" threads and the other end had a 3/8" barb. I used fittings that turn down 90* for packaging high on the SN95 firewall). Remove the OEM hose from the PCV valve. Run new line from the PCV valve to the inlet of the separator. Run a new line from the separator outlet to where the OEM PCV hose used to connect (A tee fitting behind the plenum, in my case). Mount the separator (there are two bosses in the top of the unit I used, so I tapped one and made a bracket to hold the separator and mount it to an existing firewall fastener).

Like I said, I removed the element in mine, as after about a teaspoon of oil was caught, the element started to clog.
That's about it.

Here's a pic of my old set-up when I had no PCV
IM000037.jpg

Here's how it looked on the car. You can barely see the
tank done by the smog pump eliminator
View attachment 475315
Here's a pic of my new air/oil seperator, as I decided to go back to a PCV system
IM000035.jpg

Attachments

• IM000037.jpg
    IM000037.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IM000035.jpg
    IM000035.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 89