Oil change interval

scarpi

May 30, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
I have a question I'd like to ask. I have an 05 Mustang GT. It is not a daily driver so it only has about 3900 miles on it. I was wondering about the oil change interval I should use. I can't go by the 3000 mile schedule because it would take about a year and a half to get 3000 miles. I don't want to use the 3 month schedule because I would only have about 400 to 500 miles in about 3 months. What do all you mechanic types think about me changing my oil about once every year which would be 1500 to 2000 miles. I checked my oil today and it looks light tan and clean after about 8 to 9 months (900 miles). I get it changed at my dealer. It was changed at 1724 miles and 2924 miles so far. If the oil looks clean why can't I change it once a year? I'm not being cheap but I just want to use common sense and do what is right for my car. I do appreciate any info. I think this is my first post on this forum.
Thanks, Don in Phoenix

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't go much past 3 months even if all it does is just sit. I would definitely put synthetic in it. I'm sure that would be better than conventional oil just sitting in there that long. Engine parts love being worked and lubricated on a regular basis even if just a day or 2 every few weeks.

I'm in the same boat you are my friend! I have had my 07 GT since January and only have 400 miles. :D

I am going to change mine every 6 months using Mobile 1 5w20 full synthetic.

I think it should be fine going that route.

ApexStang

Un real

I'm in the same boat you are my friend! I have had my 07 GT since January and only have 400 miles. :D

I am going to change mine every 6 months using Mobile 1 5w20 full synthetic.

I think it should be fine going that route.

ApexStang

I am amazed beyond belief anyone could own a 07 GT since January and have only 400 miles on it. I had that many miles on my 07 GT in two days. :D I have 16000 on it now after almost a year. But I could not agree more with your oil change time interval nor on your choice of oil for the purpose you use your car.

I'll switch from Motorcraft 5w20 semi synthetic that the factory uses when a compleate oil change and filter cost me more than $20.00 out the door. Till then Im changing at 3000 mile's.

I am amazed beyond belief anyone could own a 07 GT since January and have only 400 miles on it. I had that many miles on my 07 GT in two days. :D I have 16000 on it now after almost a year. But I could not agree more with your oil change time interval nor on your choice of oil for the purpose you use your car.

I'll switch from Motorcraft 5w20 semi synthetic that the factory uses when a compleate oil change and filter cost me more than $20.00 out the door. Till then Im changing at 3000 mile's.

I know, it is actually kind of sad. To help my situation though, it was in the body shop for about a month while it was getting the stripe treatment and other goodies. Tomorrow it is going in for the Intake, Xcal Brenspeed tune, Flows, and Pypes H pipe. I have a feeling she will be getting a little more useage after that.:D
They are going to do a before and after Dyno as well.
Apex

its is very important to change your oil at the 3 month or so mark and DEFINITELY change it before you store it.. oil after sitting for too long turns acidic then deteriorates the bearing surfaces and shortens engine life. for the amount of miles that you drive and to be able to change the oil for such a low price i would do it anyway not to mention the additives in the oil break down after a certain period as well... its more of a preventitive maintenece than anything else... good for the bearings and seals you ont want a rear main seal leaking at 6000 miles due to lack of oil changes or whatnot...