oil control and idle Questions

Dr_EluSivE

Founding Member
Apr 24, 2002
Central Illinois
I have about 5000 miles on my swapped motor (Not rebuilt) and i have noticed it uses some oil and tends to make a noticable smell during Boosted Accelaration, and decel. For oil control i have a New motorcraft pcv valve and i have a Element style Breather on the valve cover. The element is saturated now and is getting my Freshly painted valve cover all messy. Is this element also the source of the smell? I think its oil vapor, but i really dont know. The car uses about 1/2qt every 1000 miles or so, which i dont mind because it runs well and and smokes on startup. What other kind of breather setup can i run to avoid the mess and the smell i am getting? I know i probably need valve stem seals, but i dont want to do that right now. Any suggestions?

And my idle question, I have a good idle now, but its a little rough at times. While cleaning up the garagei noticed that the turbocoupe throttle body had what appears to be a IAC adustment plate (see photo) Is this worth installing? Any disadvantages to installing this?
IAC.jpg

Dr.

Attachments

• IAC.jpg
    IAC.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Sponsors (?)

For the valve cover breather, my best solution so far was grabbing a can style breater and sticking it on the VC outlet, then venting the vacume outlet from there into the engine bay (with a short hose to point it down). If the smell still bothers you, then vent it to the turbo inlet like the stock setup.
I don't know anything about that IAC adjustment plate though.

bhuff30 said:
For the valve cover breather, my best solution so far was grabbing a can style breater and sticking it on the VC outlet, then venting the vacume outlet from there into the engine bay (with a short hose to point it down). If the smell still bothers you, then vent it to the turbo inlet like the stock setup.
I don't know anything about that IAC adjustment plate though.
i will have to look for a can style breather with a vac connection. So far all i find are the ones that are open on the bottom. Does venting into the turbo cause any issues? I dont want to oil up my compressor if its gonna reduce its output

Dr.

Ford vented them from the VC to the turbo inlet.

Most remove and then plug the turbo inlet hole,
the oil vapors will reduce the efftive octane ratingof the gas you run

insted of the can style that you have get a "K&N" style that you can wash out at the same time that you do oil changes

yes swapp to the TC AIC motor, asumming your running a TC ECU.

Dr_EluSivE said:
i will have to look for a can style breather with a vac connection. So far all i find are the ones that are open on the bottom. Does venting into the turbo cause any issues? I dont want to oil up my turbine if its gonna reduce its output

Dr.
I have never noticed any difference in detonation resistance with the valve cover vent to the turbo inlet. I did notice some oil pooling in the intake there, but never anything else.

Bogus SVO said:
Ford vented them from the VC to the turbo inlet.

Most remove and then plug the turbo inlet hole,
the oil vapors will reduce the efftive octane ratingof the gas you run

insted of the can style that you have get a "K&N" style that you can wash out at the same time that you do oil changes

yes swapp to the TC AIC motor, asumming your running a TC ECU.

I have plugged the turbo outlet, and i AM currently running a K&N style and i think thats the problem. I suppose i could take it off and clean it out but that kinda seems like a pain since its a daily driver. I think i will find me a breather with a port on it and run a hose under the car, if i get the smell down low it shouldnt enter the passenger compartment anymore. At first i thought the smell was from the Blowoff, but i am pretty sure now its coming from the breather. Ill run it to the turbo if all else fails. My intake tract is clean and i would rather keep it that way.

Dr.

I guess I should have kept that motor :shrug: . Congrats doc, 5000 miles, not a bad start. I just put away the 32 today and am turning back to finishing the 89 I started. I'm also looking into the rule book for oval racing the 91 on the local ice racing clubs. :OT: ....oops, keep us posted(yeah I know I been m.i.a) later, Dan

Dan'l said:
I guess I should have kept that motor :shrug: . Congrats doc, 5000 miles, not a bad start. I just put away the 32 today and am turning back to finishing the 89 I started. I'm also looking into the rule book for oval racing the 91 on the local ice racing clubs. :OT: ....oops, keep us posted(yeah I know I been m.i.a) later, Dan
Nah, its not bad, i can live with it, it's just my fiance doesnt like the smell when she rides in it. The car has run great otherwise. Except for a few minor things which i will make a thread about at some point. I thought you were clearing out the mustangs? Glad to see you might keep em around for some racing, its a good use for em.

Dr.