Oil Dipstick Problem

JCode95

Oct 29, 2012
Picayune, MS
Hello all. I am new to the forums here and I am hoping someone here can help me out. I am in the process of swapping out my 3.8 in my 95 with an older 68 306. The problem I am facing is that the older block doesn't have a hole for the dipstick for the dual sump 95 oil pan. The pan doesn't have a provision for a dipstick tube but it does have a spot for the oil level sensor. Is it possible I could get an accurate reading by installing a dipstick here? Or am i going to be forced to drill a hole?

• Sponsors (?)

Those motors had a provision for the dipstick in the timing cover i believe. Only way around it is to find an aftermarket pan that takes the dipstick in the pan. Canton does i believe.

You arent running that motor with fuel injection right? The firing order is different. Older motors 154.... Newer ones 137.....

Oh and welcome to the forums!!!

Used the whole front off of an 85 so no timing cover dipstick for me. We kinda broke most of the stuff off of the front because someone decided to JB Weld the bolts to the pulley brackets and timing cover. No I am not using fuel injection, my v6 is getting me 12mpg anyway so i figured why not just do the swap and get it over with seeing as how the new block was donated. Didn't want to have to buy a new pan. Only paid $50 for this one compared to $150 for for one with a dipstick hole. Is it obvious I didn't do all my research before buying my parts.:dammit:

I used to have a web page in my favorites on drilling the front cover for a dipstick.Try searching the web. Later I will check the other computer we have and will try to find the web page I had.
I was running into that same problem installing a 5.0 in my 56 ford (I needed a front sump pan). I went with a sbc instead.
If you need any advice on switching to carb let me know.It is really easy to do.