Oil From the PCV

RatStang

Feb 11, 2010
Recently I did a manifold swap for my blower. There was oil in the inlet manifold, and by-pass assembly. Pretty much everywhere throughout the inlet portion engine combo.

My PCV system is hooked up correctly as is the vent on the oil filler tube. I'm fully aware that some amount of oil aeresol is common in boosted applications and that many use oil catch cans in an attempt to reduce that amount however...

What my question is about is whether anyone out there has come up with a solution to this kind of problem that allows that oil to STAY in the motor.

I've slaved a brake booster check valve into the line coming from the PCV in order to ensure that the PCV only EXTRACTS air and doesn't allow any boost pressure to be intorduced. I've also installed a small air/oil separator in-line as a temporary measure until I can find something more permanent.

I run a Canton 7qt oil pan and keep it between 5 and 7 quarts. The oil level doesn't really seem to make a difference although you'd think that keeping the oil level down might keep the crank from spinning as much of that oil vapor into crank case air.

I'm trying to steer away from catch cans if possible. 1. That's oil that the engine now doesn't have and 2. It's a container that will have to be emptied periodically with an eye kept on it.

Does anyone know of some way to mod that system so that the oil stays in the crank case?

If I have to go with a separator, I've got my eye on this:

Oil Catch Cans

There's a pretty good writeup about several different types here:
http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV Line Oil Removal 102.pdf

If possible though... as I said.... I'd like for that oil to stay in the motor.

thx

• Sponsors (?)