Oil in coolant

StadEMS3

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 19, 2003
Mechanicsville, MD
I changed out my thermostat housing and while I was burping the coolant I noticed a small amount of oil in the radiator fluid. No coolant on dipstick. I guess I'm changing head gaskets? The block was bored over 30 for the stroker kit so I don't know which of the many head gaskets I need to pick. I made it 1500 miles after the rebuild before a problem popped up. Of course it has to happen in the middle of the summer, cruise time. Is it ok to drive, I got emmisions due this month....

• Sponsors (?)

Did DSS put the heads on....? I got a longblock from them and 20k miles of problem free driving. I used the ford graphite head gaskets. THey are softer than the metal ones and cope well with block flex and the different expansion rates of iron block and alum. heads. They are pretty cheap also. However i hear really, really good things about cometic head gaskets but have no first hand experience. They are supposedly reuseable too, but there also very pricey.

Bought the stroker kit from DSS & built engine in my garage. I didn't think about the different expansion rates of the block and alum heads. My friend said I should of re-torqued heads after a few good heat cycles?

Didnt think of that.... got any smoking issues (blue or white) from the tail pipe? Or is the car overheating or consuming lots of oil or coolant? Juiced might be right...I mean a hg is pretty noticable when it goes.

Got the standard FMS-M-6051-A302 ones in there now which I can't find anymore, they were $30. Timing cover gasket, hmmm? How can you tell? Car seems to be running fine, no overheat, no smoke at all. Runs cleaner than the stock motor that was in there...

then maybe its not the head gaskets. Lots of times the timing cover will warp (it si aluminum) or the mounting surface will get pit marks from corrosion. The pit marks could prevent a proper seal and so could warpage...As to how you identify the culprit w/o taking it apart, I wouldent know.:shrug:

I guess I'll go ahead and order up some gaskets to have them on hand. I'm going to drive it just keep an eye on it. I just put a lot of money into this engine and don't want anything catastrophic to happen to it, especially in the middle of the summer. Besides I've got emisions test due this month

Didnt think of that.... got any smoking issues (blue or white) from the tail pipe? Or is the car overheating or consuming lots of oil or coolant? Juiced might be right...I mean a hg is pretty noticable when it goes.

No smoke, it does consume coolant and about a quart of oil per oil change, I will take the old motor apart in a few days and will let you know about the timing cover, it's what i have always thought it was because it doesent overheat and i even performed a combustion gas test for the coolant to see if it was a HG and it was fine.