Oil in intake??? What does it mean?

• Sponsors (?)

depends how much oil is present. generally it is not uncommon. the low tension rings and forged pistons (which are have greater tolerances in the pots than hyper pistons do) lead to some blow by. the PCV introduces this oily stuff into the intake.

a catch can and filter are a means to help with this, if it bothers you.

good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
depends how much oil is present. generally it is not uncommon. the low tension rings and forged pistons (which are have greater tolerances in the pots than hyper pistons do) lead to some blow by. the PCV introduces this oily stuff into the intake.

a catch can and filter are a means to help with this, if it bothers you.

good luck.

Yeah, esp. when you get some wear on the motor. The blowby overloads the PCV system.

What's weird is when I removed my stock intake about 4 months ago to install the explorer, there was no oil in the stocker. The explorer looked like it either had some dried up oil or black carbon in the ports. Just when I removed it today, it looked wet inside the ports. There was also some dried up oil underneath the lower and some near the pcv valve area which was moist BEFORE I INSTALLED THE INTAKE MONTHS AGO. My friend told me there was no need to clean it at the time because it would just get dirty again.

:D There is no need to bathe either, you will get dirty again. Mine needs to go to the car wash with the high pressure spray again. You will be able to locate any leaks exactly if you get it clean and look for the next few days. Cover the electricals well with bags and rubber bands. And be careful where you spray directly. Its a mile or so to the carwash for me, but I let it cool down good first. I dont like to spray cool water on hot parts. As it cools spray some type of degreaser on there to break the stuff up. Let it soak as the engine cools down pretty good then blast it clean. I am gonna put mine on stands while I am waiting and clean the tranny and everything underneath too.

When you installed the Explorer intake did you notice if the lower had the oil splash shield covering the underside of the back 1/3? Did you replace the oil trap/screen beneath the grommet that holds the pcv valve? Those two pieces are designed to limit the pickup of oil from the crankcase. If those are in place and working properly (screen isn't clogged, grommet seals pcv tightly) then installing a catch can or separator on the line between pcv and the intake will help reduce the amount of oil being picked up by the pcv circuit.

Michael Yount said:
When you installed the Explorer intake did you notice if the lower had the oil splash shield covering the underside of the back 1/3? Did you replace the oil trap/screen beneath the grommet that holds the pcv valve? Those two pieces are designed to limit the pickup of oil from the crankcase. If those are in place and working properly (screen isn't clogged, grommet seals pcv tightly) then installing a catch can or separator on the line between pcv and the intake will help reduce the amount of oil being picked up by the pcv circuit.
Yes the oil splash shield was in place, and I replaced the pcv screen.

Michael Yount said:

I've been reading your posts on the PCV system. I posted a question about oil consumption [thread=532192]here[/thread] and it goes along with others posts that they have oil in the upper intake. Can you please send me pics of your catch can setups to [email protected]? Also, I read in another post that someone took a pipe fitting, drilled a 1/16 hole in it and put it in the tube that goes from the filler neck to the TB and it greatly reduced oil consumption. Wouldn't this increase the vaccum on the PCV valve side and cause the engine not to breath properly? How would this, in theory, cause a decrease in oil consumption...maybe his car was pulling oil from the valve cover? I *think* I understand your explanations on this, but I want to make sure. Thanks for your help.

stang1986GT said:
Also, I read in another post that someone took a pipe fitting, drilled a 1/16 hole in it and put it in the tube that goes from the filler neck to the TB and it greatly reduced oil consumption.
i think Don runs a restrictor if you want to get particulars (he is a very articulate guy).

im having the same problem on mine, its not a whole lot, but i still dont like it in there...just the thought..

i guess putting a filter in the line would just cause it to clog up?

or does anyone know where to get a cheap catch can?

thanks,
chris

slowhatch82 said:
im having the same problem on mine, its not a whole lot, but i still dont like it in there...just the thought..

i guess putting a filter in the line would just cause it to clog up?

or does anyone know where to get a cheap catch can?

thanks,
chris
speed shops sell cheap cans that can be fitted with fittings for the can, or you can make your own. a soup can makes a good one. :)

one can also use an air/oil separator (a la air tools).

good luck.