Oil In Upper And Lower Intake

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
I just pulled off my upper intake and noticed a decent amount of oil where there should be none at all all.

I do not have a PCV line or EGR connected. So how could oil find its way up into the intake manifold? Dosn't make much sense to me.....?

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

How would that get into the intake manifold all the way to the throttle body though?

That's why I'm lost. With nothing connected to the intake manifold except for the vacuum leading the the fuel pressure regulator and brake booster. How would oil go backwards up into the intake when there should be a vacuum sucking the other way towards the engine...

I took everything off and applied Copper rtv to some areas I had slight leaks from. Which was where the lower intake meets the front and rear of the block. I can only think that this was a slight vacuum leak somehow causing oil to seap in from the valley in the form of smoke and settling in the intake.

That's a wild guess though.

Last edited:
There was no PCV hooked up when I got the car. And since I'll be going turbo when all these bugs are worked out, I don't plan to put the PCV set up back on. I'll be welding a -12an fitting on each valve cover for a catch tank.

The hose from the filler neck to the TB was also already gone. No filler cap either. Just breathers on both the fill area and where the hose should be leading to the TB.

I will be putting a cap back on. The breather always leaks.

you need either PCV or breather/catch can system

I will be running 1 hose from each valve cover to a catch can. Then a hose from the catch can to the large vacuum port on the intake manifold. But for now, it's just open with a breather.

But this can't be the issue... at least I don't think it would be.

I pulled the intake manifold off and resealed everything. New injector of rongs, pintle caps, and really made an effort to get a perfect seal where the lower intake meets the front and rear of the block.

Car runs MUCH better. I'm sure I cleared up some vacuum leaks. I'll take off the upper after a 2-300 miles and see if there's and oil in there... hopefully not.

Hope you replaced the PCV valve and clean or replace the PCV mesh filter that sits in the hole below the valve. When they clog up, the engine sucks up oil. My intake manifold and throttlebody was soaked in oil. 500 miles after removing the whole intake manifold, cleaning it, cleaning the PCV filter, installing a new PCV valve, cleaning the throttle body/EGR spacer, and reinstalling the intake manifold (installed a ported stock lower), it is still as clean as a whistle.