oil leak, coolant leak, acceleration hesitation

bigfatride

Feb 18, 2009
Hey guys, new to the forum here!

I've got a '94 GT convertible, just hit 170,000 miles, but would like to take care of a few problems I've been having.

I'm losing about 3/4 quart of oil for every tank of gas, but can't pinpoint the leak.

I'm losing coolant and it doesn't appear to be the radiator hoses.

When I accelerate, especially going uphill at low RPMs the car feels like it misfires/hesistates to accelerate.

Any ideas?

-Pat

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys, new to the forum here!

I've got a '94 GT convertible, just hit 170,000 miles, but would like to take care of a few problems I've been having.

I'm losing about 3/4 quart of oil for every tank of gas, but can't pinpoint the leak.

I'm losing coolant and it doesn't appear to be the radiator hoses.

When I accelerate, especially going uphill at low RPMs the car feels like it misfires/hesistates to accelerate.

Any ideas?

-Pat

Is there oil on the ground under the car? If not the oil might be going by the rings.:eek:

The 5.0L are notorious for leaking from the rear of the intake, oil pan, and rear main seal. Sometimes the oil pan leaks at the rear and it looks like the rear main seal.:nice:

If you are losing 3/4 quart per tank of gas that engine is pretty much ready for a rebuild. That is if you do not see any oil under the car.

Also sounds like you have a blown headgasket with losing coolant and hesitation. I bet if you drain some of your oil it will be milky.

At this point, you may want to consider a refresh. Oil loss possibilities are the intake seals as listed, going past the rings, valve stem seals or external gasket and seal leaks (oil pan, rear main, crank seal, etc) . Id recommend getting uinder the car and look for signs of a leak. Knowing its an internal or external leak is the first step. Coolant loss could be internal from a head gasket though our radiators are notorious for forming leaks on the passenger side where the core meets the side tanks.

If there aren't any obvious external oil or coolant leaks, they're likely to be internal. The oil could be leaking past worn piston rings, valve stem oil seals, or the intake plenum gasket. Coolant could be leaking from the radiator (if it's small the water can evaporate before you can see it), heater core, intake plenum gasket, or a head gasket.
Sounds like your engine's tired so with the oil/coolant leaking issues, I think you'd better plan a rebuild. If you've got a spare $2500 you could rebuild the engine with a performance top end kit from Trick Flow, Holley, or Edelbrock and gain a lot of ponies.