oil leak getting worse? someone please help

cbrcolt45

Jun 29, 2009
I am leaking oil and cant tell where its coming from, theres oil everywhere, it was leaking about 2 drops a day but 2 months later, now about 1/4 cup a day?! I know i should be able to tell but theres oil all over. maybe you guys can help? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I would clean up the engine/engine bay and then let it run for a few minutes. Then safely look around for signs of fresh oil leakage.

Easy way to start is where is the puddle starting from? Around the front end of the car (front main), around the door area (rear main), or around the engine (oil pan gasket)? Those are some main places that would leak. Good luck.

Coming from the rear of the engine, like towards the trans, and one thing i noticed, is my throw out has been whining but now sometimes it stops, is it even possible for oil to get on that? I dont even have jacks to get under it right now.

A leak from the rear of the engine could be the rear main seal. If the leak appears to be coming from between the engine and tranny that's likely your culprit. You won't know for sure until you get under there and look. At worst, follow Hissin's suggestion - clean off all the oil you can and let the car idle for a few minutes, see if you can find the leak then.

Coming from the rear of the engine, like towards the trans, and one thing i noticed, is my throw out has been whining but now sometimes it stops, is it even possible for oil to get on that? I dont even have jacks to get under it right now.
If oil were getting to your TOB, it'd have to go through the clutch first, which would be much worse IIRC. You should get the TOB taken care of before the leak though, unless the leak is REALLY bad. If you catch a failing TOB early enough, it won't do any damage to the retainer, pressure plate, or clutch fork. Take it from me - I've just done my second TOB in 1,500 miles. :notnice: Make sure and not make the same mistake I did. Use wheel bearing grease on the retainer, the pivot ball, and the part of the fork where the bearing slides into. Also pack the inner diameter of the new bearing with grease. Good luck with everything! :nice:

Good point on the TOB. If the rear main seal is causing the leak, you want to know so you can replace it at the same time you replace the TOB. Otherwise, you'll have to drop the tranny twice.