Oil Leak Need Help Determining Part Picture Included

jarata

Apr 17, 2014
stang under 001.JPG I have an oil leak I thought I fixed last week by replacing valve cover gasket.But its back and I think I located where its coming from.Its a black rubber gasket type thing close to the oil drain plug.Can anyone tell me what it is and do they have a habit of needing replacement every now and then

• Sponsors (?)

stang under 001.JPG I have an oil leak I thought I fixed last week by replacing valve cover gasket.But its back and I think I located where its coming from.Its a black rubber gasket type thing close to the oil drain plug.Can anyone tell me what it is and do they have a habit of needing replacement every now and then

The black rubber plug is just a grommet for your transmission bell housing. I believe the only reason its there for is to gain access to your torque converter to drain the fluid out if needed. You could pull the plug and drain any excess oil out. Since you had a valve cover leak, some of the residual oil may have accumulated in your bell housing, and just needs to be cleaned out. If you continue to get lots of oil from the rubber grommet and your engine isn't leaking from anywhere else, you probably will need to change your rear main bearing. This would cause you to get oil accumulating in your bell housing.

Reactions: 1 user
First let me correct myself. In my previous post, I mispoke and referenced rear main bearing. This is not the correct part. What I meant to say was the rear main seal. The rear main seal only costs about $14 at the parts store.

Yes, changing the rear main is a major job. Several ways to do it like removing the tranny or pulling the engine so you can get to the seal. the seal is easy to remove and install, all the time and effort is spent getting to it. Basically, its the seal at the rear end of your engine's crankshaft. When this seal breaks down, oil will leak into your tranny bell housing and drip out the grommet or the access plate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First let me correct myself. In my previous post, I mispoke and referenced rear main bearing. This is not the correct part. What I meant to say was the rear main seal. The rear main seal only costs about $14 at the parts store.

Yes, changing the rear main is a major job. Several ways to do it like removing the tranny or pulling the engine so you can get to the seal. the seal is easy to remove and install, all the time and effort is spent getting to it. Basically, its the seal at the rear end of your engine's crankshaft. When this seal breaks down, oil will leak into your tranny bell housing and drip out the grommet or the access plate.
I agree that it might be the rear main. Mine is leaking and it settles right where that grommet is.