Engine Oil level sender

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
I recently replaced my oil pan gasket, filler plug gaskets, and resealed the oil level sender to the pan.
Ive been doing a lot of other work, so the car has been sitting. No drips for quite a while, then I started to notice one under the sender.
However, it’s not coming from where it seals, it’s running down the wire. Is there a way to repair/reseal that part, or is it just time to replace the whole sender?

• Sponsors (?)

you can try to repair the internal seal, but I believe it used a proprietary type of seal that’s hard to find a replacement for. I damaged mine while trying to fix it. I stuck a plug in there for now.

one day when I have money to burn I’ll buy one of these

EDIT: The plug size is 20mm x 1.5. I beleive there are oil drain plugs in this size that are commonly used.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mine was leaking pretty good from where the wire connects. I took the sensor out and apart and replaced the internal o-ring with a generic one that was the same diameter. Was pretty simple. It’s been about 10k miles and a couple 3 years and it is still dry there.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll have to pull mine apart again but it didn't have an O-ring. It had a clip that was retaining a blue rubber cylinder that created the seal. I was hoping for an O-ring.

I will either go that route with the o ring and hope for a fix, or plug it. Too many other things that I still need to spend money on before I can even drive it.

The blue plug and the clip is for the wire connection. You need to take the sensor apart and change the o-ring inside the sensor itself. I have a spare one somewhere. If I find it I’ll post some pictures.

Here is what the inside looks like. You have to bend the tangs off a star washer to release the sensor from the housing.

Attachments

• AD46034F-FEBA-4630-A51D-B7A87B76FAEF.jpeg
    AD46034F-FEBA-4630-A51D-B7A87B76FAEF.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 14DF79DF-7DE0-4B73-896B-06F65546B6BF.jpeg
    14DF79DF-7DE0-4B73-896B-06F65546B6BF.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 1 user
No o-ring on mine. It has a black hard plastic sleeve at the bottom of the sensor probe. There’s no o ring inside anywhere.

This is the original sender on the car so i'm the only person to ever pull it off and disassemble it.

A33BDE4A-7DEB-4AAA-AD94-AF7FF33B6FAF.jpeg

Last edited:
I think there are two kinds. One has an O-ring and one has that sleeve which has a built in o-ring up top. I bet that sleeve was softer at one time too. You should be able to take that plastic sleeve off and replace it with an o-ring. Mine had just an o-ring. No sleeve.

The black part is definitely a plastic molded part. You can see molding indications and a number in it up close

0DA2EE65-EEAA-4CC8-8C9F-FE7FADC00FED.jpeg

I really don’t quite understand how this was making a seal. I’ll try adding an o ring. I’ve got assorted sizes at work