OIL level sensor?

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
Got a question for you guys. My 96 will throw the light for low oil when not parked on a flat surface. It will shut off once parked flat. Is that a bad sensor? Is there even a sensor that can be replaced for that? My 94 used to park in the same place and it never did that. It's kinda annoying not knowing if it's really low or not.

Thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Lol I know that much. It's just annoying having that stupid light on all the time.

When I bought it the guy told me out had a slight oil leak. He said that he replaced the valve cover gasket but out still leaked. I'm starting to wonder of it's head gasket seeping. I have heard a few others with that problem.

I guess I'd also like it to work properly incase I'm driving and it gets low before I check it. Having to check it every couple days gets old.

How much oil do you put in with an oil change? If you're only putting 5qts in, the light's gonna come on all the time if you park on an incline. If you put six qts in, then you're getting low on oil and the light's gonna come on all the time if you park on an incline.

It also come on sometimes if you're a little low on oil and you shut the engine off for just a minute and then start it back up again before the oil in the top of the motor has had time to drain back down to the pan, like at a gas station.

Check the stick and see what it says.

I actually haven't changed it yet. I bought the car in like october drove ir a few weeks then parked it for the winter. It's coming do for a change which I might do this weekend. That's why I'm asking. I figured of it's a sensor or something I'd replace it while I was at it. I'm new with the 4.6 how much oil is recommended for them?

I have added a little once or twice just to make me feel safe due to the leak. Everytime I have checked the stick it's been in the safe zone.

Ha, depends who you ask and where you look.

From the 1996 Mustang Owner's Manual:

Six quarts according to page 319
Top.jpg

5 according to page 356
Top-1.jpg

:scratch:

6qts puts it right in the full zone on the dipstick for me.

If it's leaking from the valve covers then the gasket probably got pinched when they were put back on. It's really easy for the gasket to pop out somewhere where you can't see it when you put them on - probably just a matter of taking it off and reseating the rubber gasket.

That is an option but I'd rather not do that.

That's interesting about the oil capacity lol.

well the PO was a mechanic, not a ford one but works at nearby dealer. I should hope he knows how to put a vc gasket in. Might not be his fault but for it to happen before and after in the same spot seems odd. That's why I'm thinking there is more to it than that.

I think the sensor switch is working normally. When you park on a hill, all the oil sloshes down to one end or the other of the pan away from the sensor. Put a little more oil in and it shouldn't light up unless you park on the steepest of hills.

That is an option but I'd rather not do that.

That's interesting about the oil capacity lol.

well the PO was a mechanic, not a ford one but works at nearby dealer. I should hope he knows how to put a vc gasket in. Might not be his fault but for it to happen before and after in the same spot seems odd. That's why I'm thinking there is more to it than that.

If your gonna change the Valve Cover gaskets your self, put away about 4 hours and some day light.
That som' bish kicked my butt. Damn bolts and holes are too dang small and the shock tower is in the way.

ha ha good thing I have my truck then incase I try to replace it myself.

I decided to ask at pepboys if there was a sensor, wow what a bad idea that was. The guys there were like "no it's like a gas tank there's a float in there that tells it it's low" I just looked at them and so ooooh ok. I almost said have you retards ever seen inside a damn oil pan before? The one guy also said that my pressure is messed up and told me to pull the light. I don't think it's a pressure issue cause then it would always do it