Engine Oil Level Sensor

2007_Crown_Vic

Aug 19, 2016
Hi guys,

It is about time to wake up the 1990 GT. I did the usual oil change (and trans too this time) and while I was down there went looking for the source of the slow oil leak from last season. It looks like the common location of the oil level sensor, and from the sensor not the large threaded part at the pan. I was hoping for the leak to be at the pan itself which seems like it would be an easier fix.

So, with it leaking from the sensor what is the best way to fix this? I would prefer to keep the sensor functioning if possible rather than just removing it and plugging it. For new parts all I can seem to find is the large metal piece that threads into the pan, but if that is not where the leak is coming from I don't think this part needs to be bought new does it? Unless there is some kind of rubber seal within this part that has worn and is causing the leak. I am not really sure how this assembly works. It would be nice if it were that simple to just get the new threaded piece and a new gasket, install that and plug the sensor in, but things rarely seem to be that easy, lol.

Thanks for any tips on this

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, did a quick look into what it would cost to replace the housing that threads into the pan, the gasket and a new sensor. Looks like all in and delivered would be about $275. I think for money like that to fix a leak I will just try taking it all out and cleaning it up on the next oil change. Then install the housing back into the pan with some RTV, and then install the sensor back into the housing with some RTV around where it seals and see what happens.

Is there any risk of this sensor popping out on its own?

I looked into this for a while and even tried to repair my sensor.

First off, I would recommend buying a new FORD gasket vs the one being sold by LRS. The ford one is a little more pliable. It's basically a plastic disk with a rubber o-ring impregnated into each side. Overtorquing will split it. Key is to clean the mating surfaces really well, and use a thin film of oil to spin it on like an oil filter and not overtorque it.

The main cause of the leak is the housing. Inside, where the sensor connect deep down is a seal. This is what fails over time and the oil leaks past the seal, and past the sensor (which isn't designed to seal) and leaks out. I tried to repair mine, but removing the seal damages it and there isn't an off-the-shelf replacement.

Only solution is a new sensor housing.

Given the cost, I stuck a plug in the port instead for now. After all my projects are done, i'll buy a new sensor housing and replace it. Im the type that likes all my gadgets and warning lights to work as intended.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Ok, thats what I was afraid of. I guess I will shop around and find the best price for one of these. So the actual sensor connected to the wire is typically OK? I guess it isn't that bad if I just need the housing and gasket. I was just concerned that something might be wrong with the wired sensor that was creating the leak so I was going to get everything new which starts to drives the cost up

There could always be something bad with it. Previous owner could have tried to repair it, or remove it improperly with a pair of pliers damaging something. But for the most part, it's the metal housing that has a seal that fails that causes the leaks

Wow, did a quick look into what it would cost to replace the housing that threads into the pan, the gasket and a new sensor. Looks like all in and delivered would be about $275. I think for money like that to fix a leak I will just try taking it all out and cleaning it up on the next oil change. Then install the housing back into the pan with some RTV, and then install the sensor back into the housing with some RTV around where it seals and see what happens.

Is there any risk of this sensor popping out on its own?

I bought a new sensor complete for my ‘86 for $80 +/-. I think I got it at Summit.

I took the sensor apart on my 86 Saleen and just replaced the internal o-ring. Then I put a new gasket between the pan and sensor in. It’s been 3 over years and about 10k miles with no leaks from the sensor.