OIL PRESSURE BUT NO OIL ON ROCKERS AND ROCKER TICKING = ?

88mustang92

Mar 1, 2008
thats pretty much it i was driving it and was running against a 357 windsor (351 bored .030) and i suddenly felt a loss of power and noticed no oil pressure, so i shut her down and went and check the dipstick, it was a little low but no noises or anything thing so we figured it was the sending unit, so even though we thought that i continued on but not rodding on it this time, well about 3 more miles down the road i heard rocker ticking and shut her down... went back into town and picked up 5 quarts of oil to hopefully get me going, well went back to the car on the highway and i pulled number 4 plug and it was coffee/hot chocolate colored so thought it was running fine, we poured the oil in, it fired up but still no oil pressure wtf????? so we drove it about 35 about 5 miles to get back to the house. waited till the next day to dump the oil and check oil filter and nothing!!! clean! so i went back to the auto parts store and bought 5 quarts of Havoline 10 - 40w oil instead of my normal choice of 10 - 30w (Havoline). Put that in the car along with a new fl-1a oil filter, she fired up with oil pressure and ticking and and it never went away, so i pull the valve cover and no oil on the rockers at all!!! Cam bearings gone or wat? the cam seems fine but i think some of the roller lifters are about gone because i can push on rocker where the pushrod is and it went down a little bit, but what leads me to think the cam is fine is i ran the car w/o the valve cover on and no oil but cam was pushing valves up and down? so the question is cam bearings shot or what?

• Sponsors (?)

how much oil presure do you have? bc its possable you mite have twisted the oil pump shaft to,but if it didnt have very good oil pressure that would explain your ticking now if you dorve the car as long as you say you did like that it is possable that it killed the cam bearings but you lifters are probably bled down now and may take a lil bit tto re pump up i had this problem with a thunder bird that had been sitting for a year how long did u run the car with the valve cover off?

how much oil presure do you have? bc its possable you mite have twisted the oil pump shaft to,but if it didnt have very good oil pressure that would explain your ticking now if you dorve the car as long as you say you did like that it is possable that it killed the cam bearings but you lifters are probably bled down now and may take a lil bit tto re pump up i had this problem with a thunder bird that had been sitting for a year how long did u run the car with the valve cover off?

I ran it for about 30 seconds or a little long 2 see if anything would happen and nothing but ur ? about the oil pressure i get about 60 (between o and the r on the word normal on the guage) it maybe misleading im gonna by an aftermarket guage for it though. Funny thing is 2 that the motor never got over 160 either when i ran it back into town at 35 mph in 4th gear.

ok well as much as i hate to say this pull the valve cover again and let it idle for about a minute if you showing oil pressure bc it is going to take a little bit to reprime your lifters and get it flowing pretty good to the top end think about how heavy oil is and its moving up wards so u need more then 30 seconds, after that let us know what its doing it should have oil up top with in a short peroiod of time now DONT go and rev the engine while u do this.

ok ls1beater ill do that and yes ik no revving, ever since the car showed no oil pressure i have put the least amount of strain on it as possible, n yeah dont worry i can pull a valve cover now in about 5 minutes or less n thats on the tb side. so no big deal really, btw if i spun or junked out a cam bearing would i have oil pressure?

ok well that is the next thing todo really i was talking to a friend of mine that was there when i did my motor and he said it took a good 3 min or so i mean u can try it one more time and wait and see but other then that i would be pulling the cam to double check things just to be on the safe side bc its not normal for all 16 lifters to just go out at the same time, so if you want try it one more time and see if the noise goes away befor u pull the cam bc you mite have just run the lifters dry since ur saying u have oil pressure again now i would give it one more shot

I think you may have a piece of trash in there. I had a truck at my shop the other week that was doing the same thing. It ended up having trash in it some where that finally worked its way out.

Ls1beater is talking about the motor thats in my car now to. I had to drive it for about 5 mins before all the lifter reprimed.

well if your going to pull it apart try and reprime the lifters by letting the car idle as long as its not knocking or anything crazy besides lifter tick then let it idle or even a short drive to see if it goes away bc i doubt you have bent the oil pump shaft if you still have good oil pressure

can someone answer the ?, would there be oil pressure if there was a spunk bearing on the cam? and the ? are the pushrods easily able to be pushed down on the lifters and make the lifters sink or is it b/c they arn't primed?

bad news, i went and bought a mechanical oil pressure guage n i got no oil pressure even after letting it run for about 5 minutes, nothing came through the plastic tubing to the guage at all so i guess next step is to pull the motor

pulled the distrib. out just 4 giggles about 2 hours ago and decided i would get a magnet and c if i could get the oil pump shaft out... well i got it out and its twisted to beat hell, so i went to the parts store to get a new 1, brought it home and put her in to c if i could spin it by hand (thinking that the new oil pump would be siezed) its not though, so i wonder whats up with that, ik i got it in the hole to because i got oil up to the rockers so that a + but ill still pull motor up to drop the pan and check bearings sound good everybody??:shrug:

tried that shaft again 2day with the oil pump along with a diff socket and after an hour of trying to get that thing in there it finally went, tried turning it though but that pump is locked up tighter than a nun's **** on a sunday.... im still gonna c the bearing though, dads being a crabass n telling me its shelled out, i have heard no bearing noise yet so i still think there is a chance she will still run in less than 3 weeks!

hell at the worst u have to have the crank turned ok so you have prob a day at the machine shop witch gives u time to get a new pan gasket and timing cover gasket and get your new bearings if needed and the crank cant be polished out and about the 30min to a hour to pull themotor ok im not seeing even a week here i see maybe 3 days if all goes well at the machine shop and u dont have to have it ground good luck with it and let us know how the bearings look u mite be ok if it wasnt making ne noise