Oil pressure completely drops off?

Munnstang

Founding Member
Jan 3, 2002
Winnipeg Manitoba
I noticed once about a week, and tonight, that after givin'r, my oil pressure seems to completely drop to the very bottom of the gauge (stock gauges), and when I rev it up a little it will go back to normal. Any ideas as to why it would do this? I was using nitrous if that matters, but I wasnt when it happened last week. Also I hadn't driven the car since last week when it happened. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

mine did that, now i'm getting a new engine rebuild from it!! get an oil press guage like a test kit and hook that up. you should see at least 15 psi at idle. mine did the same thing, went to the track again and then it started to do it more and more, next thing i know my rob bearings shot to hell and i'm builden a 4 grand motor lol. So def check the pressure but most likly your pump is shot, don't get me wrong you'll be ok for a bit if you drive carefully (under 3 grand rpm) and youll be ok, since it does pump oil, just not enough to sustane a WOT run.

Over time things start floating in the oiling system, or an over-late changed oil filter, or malfunctioned oil filter, or whatever can throw stuff towards the oil pick up tube and can clog that and/or the oil pump can pick it up and you can have that try to spit it through the rest of the system - except it simply cannot. This is about the only way it happens all of the sudden. If it takes a while and progressively got worse over time, then the oil pump is worn out.

dont trust the stock gauge. you very well might have problems, but a real gauge is a must, IMHO. good luck.

the stock gauge isn't worth much, mine used to show no pressure at all and would come back when it felt like it.you can try replacing the sender for it, if you like the stock gauges. i for one cant read the bars on them so i got an autometer mech gauge.

87'GTstang said:
LOL here comes the Fram bashing again. Too bad they are what they are on the inside :notnice: :bs:

no bashing. i used to use fram and my stock gauges would do the same thing. when revved, they would be high, at idel, they go down to about 1/3 pressure (high-low gauges). I then switched to a Motorsport one, pressure never drops now. Who knows. dont get me wrong, i use Fram on the Jeep limited, no problems there. :shrug:

Definently get a good gauge first and foremost. I went through this same thing last summer, my gauge would just bottom out and then it wouldn't rise any further than the first white line on the stock gauge. I was convinced that my motor was shot. HISSIN50 and Jerry Beach convinced me to get a real gauge first , and they were right the my oil pressure was ok the factory gauge just sux. And even worst carse you hook up a new gauge and you do have a problem, would you really wanna rely on the factory gauge after you have made the repairs?

N8Miller said:
no bashing. i used to use fram and my stock gauges would do the same thing. when revved, they would be high, at idel, they go down to about 1/3 pressure (high-low gauges). I then switched to a Motorsport one, pressure never drops now. Who knows. dont get me wrong, i use Fram on the Jeep limited, no problems there. :shrug:
No, i'm not against the bashing at all. After seeing numerous oil filter reports that pitted all of them against each other, Fram was no longer my pick. Let's just say that Fram is DEFINITELY not like they used to be. To make a long story short, the Purolator and Motorcraft (made by Purolator) came out as the best.

Here it is:
Oil filter case study

Just plain sad about the Fram PH8 in the study :nonono:
Definitely not what the name used to mean.