Oil Pressure Dropping To 0 Under 1500rpm-???

Picture 050.jpg
Picture 055.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

That's a lot of crap to be floating around in your oil pan. That makes me worry a littl about what else got sucked through.

Joe
There wasn't much else in the oil, there was some tiny specks that look like bronze/brass on the bottom of the pan. I used compressed air to blow out the pump and tube and didn't get much crap out of either, mostly looks like the stuff stuck to the screen, but I won't try re-using the oil filter.

I put it back together for now so I don't lose any parts, my other crank looks better than this one, those bearings had very little of the bronze-brass showing on the bearings so that crank might be the one that goes to the machine shop. Do the pistons have to come out to change the bearings or can they be left in? I do have the pistons I took out of my other motor which are forged pistons and the ones in this motor are not, I will NOT put nitrous on this car, any power advantage from one to the other?

Those bearings are shot. They should be silver. That's where your pressure loss went. Too much gap to keep the oil in the galleys. That engine was pushed to failure. I am surprised you didn't find a spun bearing.

holy wiped bearings batman. Take one of the rod and main bearings- clean off the surface and put some plastigauge on the journal and torque it down. I'm curious to see what the readings are. You said the motor was just done? Who built that motor? I hope you didn't pay to have that assembled. I'd pull that crank out and have it cleaned up too and if needed get a matching set of bearings.

Those bearings are shot. They should be silver. That's where your pressure loss went. Too much gap to keep the oil in the galleys. That engine was pushed to failure. I am surprised you didn't find a spun bearing.
Ya, they look pretty bad, compared to the ones in the other motor they are really bad, the others had most of the silver coating still and these have just a small spot or two of it left, that is why I think I'll use that crank.

holy wiped bearings batman. Take one of the rod and main bearings- clean off the surface and put some plastigauge on the journal and torque it down. I'm curious to see what the readings are. You said the motor was just done? Who built that motor? I hope you didn't pay to have that assembled. I'd pull that crank out and have it cleaned up too and if needed get a matching set of bearings.
Nothing was done to the bottom end, it came from a 96 Explorer that I was told only had 100,000 miles on it. I wanted the intake and gt40 heads and got the whole motor for $400 then had a machine shop clean and check the heads before they got new TFS springs. I was going for a VERY low budget motor after my old one started smoking last fall ( bad head gasket). I took the crank out of the old motor and it will probably be the one going to the machine shop, the bearings on it were much better and showed a lot less wear.

Don't sell your guns or ammo! Those are the two best investments you can make right now. For years I would sell one gun to buy another. I wish I had never sold a single one. My collection would be double what it is if I hadn't.

Joe

Don't sell your guns or ammo! Those are the two best investments you can make right now. For years I would sell one gun to buy another. I wish I had never sold a single one. My collection would be double what it is if I hadn't.

Joe
With the price of ammo now I am tempted to sell one case of the 7.62, about 550 rounds if I remember correctly........but my Sig isn't ever going to for sale. The SKS is nice but I'd rather have the Mustang running now.

I'm going to drop off the crank tomorrow at a machine shop and see what bearings I need after they get it ready. Already pulled the heads back off and am about to pull the engine apart the rest of the way, ended up with some overtime last week to help pay for part of the stuff I will need. Anyone know of somewhere to get a better price on a bearing/ring/gasket kit for less than summit.com? Looks to be about $220 for their kit.