Oil pressure question

So I took my car out for a drive today and noticed that the needle on my oil pressure gauge is all the way to the right, pointing right at the thick line before the H. I don't think the gauge is dead. But my question is, is it a problem to have really high oil pressure? I do have a high volume oil pump.

I'm gonna get an Autometer gauge next week to get a more accurate reading.

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

If you truly had high pressure, one can destroy the oil filter. I doubt it is much but the gauge if you have not done anything recently. I would make sure the sender wire is not shorting to anything that you can detect (via having chafed, melted, etc). With most gauge, the more resistance it receives, the higher it reads. Not sure on a SN OP gauge though.

The new gauge will tell the story. Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
If you truly had high pressure, one can destroy the oil filter. I doubt it is much but the gauge if you have not done anything recently. I would make sure the sender wire is not shorting to anything that you can detect (via having chafed, melted, etc). With most gauge, the more resistance it receives, the higher it reads. Not sure on a SN OP gauge though.

The new gauge will tell the story. Good luck.

So the oil filter is the only potential damage that could be done, assuming the stock gauge is telling the truth? I just order an autometer gauge and I'll hopefully have it mid week.

The stock oil pressure gauge in our cars is an on/off switch only. It does not have the ability to differentiate pressure. Chances are your sender is just going through a "change" if you call it. The autometer will tell you the truth.

95strokerPSU said:
So the oil filter is the only potential damage that could be done, assuming the stock gauge is telling the truth? I just order an autometer gauge and I'll hopefully have it mid week.
no, high oil pressure can be caused by spun bearings that back up flow and cause high pressure. this backed up flow can prevent oil from reaching other parts of the engine and causing damage. if there is no unusual noises coming from your engine then it is most likely the guage or a sender.

bimmertech said:
no, high oil pressure can be caused by spun bearings that back up flow and cause high pressure. this backed up flow can prevent oil from reaching other parts of the engine and causing damage. if there is no unusual noises coming from your engine then it is most likely the guage or a sender.

I doubt I have a spun bearing, but the noise would be pretty noticable right? I had a knocking sound last week, but it seems to have just been the passenger side header gasket.

What range should I get for my guage, 0-100, 0-150, or 0-200? I was thinking about the Autometer 4323. Will this be a good choice?

Too much oil can actually lower pressure (aeration).

Were I you in that situation, I would go to the parts store right now and get a mech gauge (even a cheapo parts store gauge is WAY more accurate than the stocker) so you can see what is going on.

That and/or get a UOA done in town ASAP (I am not sure how fast they can be done locally).

If pressure changed while you had not done anything new parts-wise, I would be getting a gauge now (esp with warranty issues).

Good luck bud.

95strokerPSU said:
I doubt I have a spun bearing, but the noise would be pretty noticable right? I had a knocking sound last week, but it seems to have just been the passenger side header gasket.
a spun cam bearing may not be too noticeable, especially if you have loud pipes. with a spun cam bearing you could just starve the top end which may not be noticeable until somthing happens.