Oil pressure question

nunly94gt

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2002
Mobile, Al
When driving last night in my 88gt with 100k on it The oil pressure dropped out on the gauge. It only happens when the car is idling. When Im moving or reving it is fine and runs around the "M" in normal. At idle it shoots below the gauge and you can hear it flicker.
Should this be something serious or is the gauge/sending unit screwed? I plan on putting mechanical gauges in the car soon anyways. Just some thoughts please.

• Sponsors (?)

I was going to recommend a higher quality gauge but it sounds like you have that planned. Mine runs at like 50 at idle.

Assuming your oil level is ok and no major leaks? Oil pump possibly going bad.....not able to pump enough at idle.

It's probably the oil pressure sending unit. My 95's done that for years on two different engines. Never got around to replacing it I guess, even though I've had it off on a couple of different occasions.

oil pressure

fwiw ive had some of my fords do that,,they were both ford v8s but acouple of years older70`s...all of mine also made a tinging noise(like something ratteling)when slowing down,,,,so my guess would be oil pump.shaft/dizzy....something in that area,,

ok.....Ill stick a good gauge on there and make sure I have good PSI.
The level is fine and there are no leaks anywhere. I am hoping its the sending unit for now I dont want to do an oil pump just yet.

I'd say change the sending unit first, I just changed mine last week due to my gauge dropping out of range at idle, turns out it was just the sending unit going bad:nice:

Check your engine to frame grounds while you're in there. The little ground strap that runs to the firewall, as well as the one to the frame. They're well known to cause all kinds of gremlins that you could be chasing around, so before you start chasing your tail, it may very well just be one of those, too.

I'd say change the sending unit first, I just changed mine last week due to my gauge dropping out of range at idle, turns out it was just the sending unit going bad:nice:

I agree! Whats the point in goofing up the inside of the car with yet another gauge!?? The sending units is like 14 bucks if I remember right. I would assume that if you had oil issue like your gauge is "thinking" then the engine would let you know in the form of NOISE.