Oil pressure sender won't come off (need tips)

19stang66

Apr 16, 2003
My oil pressure sender will not unscrew from the tube. I tried using PB Blaster to loosen it up but to no avail. Should I use a torch down there to heat up the fitting? Or is that a bad idea? Other ideas?

Once I do get it off will oil start squirting out of the tube? Or does the oil only go through the tube when the engine is running? Thanks!

Also, should I use thread tape on my new water temp sensor, I think its brass?

• Sponsors (?)

The tube? Do you mean the 2" long extension fitting thingy screwed into the block?

If so, then just unscrew the tube with sender still attached and take it apart on the bench. Oil should not drip out with the engine off... at least not more than a few drops.

I would try to take the tube off with the sender still in it and then put it in a vise where you can safely use heat (you didn't say if engine is still in car, but if so this is right near fuel pump, so be careful with heat). Mine was very tough to get off, but pretty easy once in a vice.

I cant get the tube with the sender attached to it to come out without denting the oil filter. Engine is in the car.

Can I take the oil filter off without oil coming out of the block? I know there will be oil in the filter itself.

19stang66 said:
I cant get the tube with the sender attached to it to come out without denting the oil filter. Engine is in the car.

Can I take the oil filter off without oil coming out of the block? I know there will be oil in the filter itself.

Yes, you can remove the filter. Just put a pan under it since some amount of oil will drain, but not that much.