Oil pressure woes... what's the cause??

TomCat

Apr 19, 2005
Utah
Alright so I was driving along today and the oil pressure gauge was reading about where it normally does (about on the M of the "Normal" ) and all of a sudden it drops down completely. I immediately shut down the car and went ou to check my oil level. Everything looked good. So I start the car up and the oil press. goes up, but only to about the L on the normal... almost into the red. If I drive it and keep the rpms up, it'll stay at about the A just fine. If it idles, it goes back to the L or a little lower. Now before you diagnose anything, keep in mind that my alternator is dying... could that affect the readings? Any way that I can verify what's going on?? What are your normal pressure readings?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

Brandon, honestly what i would do is go get a cheap mech OP gauge and hook it up for 10 minutes (even right inside the engine compartment - just so you can watch it) and see what you got.

you will not get satisfaction from messing with the stock gauge, IMHO.

a lack of voltage can affect gauges obviously.

good luck with it.

yeah, the stock gauges are famous for being hysteretic. that is why half of us in here have a ton of aftermarket gauges in our stangs. :)

some of the gauges are not really even graduated - they sense pressure or no pressure. not good for peace of mind, ya know.

i keep a 10 dollar mech gauge around from some old project (with some spare ferrules from the hardware store) for just such occasions like you are having.

FWIW, a new sender might get your old gauge back up to 'normal'. they are 10 bucks or so at parts stores.

good luck.

Nah I'm not even going to mess around with it then. I've been looking for a reason to get some autometer gauges anyway. I'll grab a gauge tomorrow and drive calm... if it turns out that it is low.... I'll be mad.

Later,
Brandon