Oil Pressure

Bgnrmechanic

Jun 30, 2018
Arlington
Hey guys, i got an oil gauge problem. The gauge works when it does the initial test but the car itself will not start. I was wondering if an oil pressure sensor would keep it from starting or if its a totally different issue. I've got a 2000 v6 3.8l

• Sponsors (?)

For the 1996-2004 Mustang the oil pressure sending unit is a simple on/off switch. The signal wire goes to the cluster (only) to turn on the oil pressure warning light. The switch closes (grounds) when the oil pressure is above 6 PSI (yes that is correct!). The PCM is not aware of the oil pressure situation.

My vote. An oil pressure sender problem is not the direct reason why your motor isn't starting.

FWIIW, the oil pressure senders can (and do) go bad. I JUST replaced the sender on my 2000 GT. The dash gauge would drop to zero. But the motor had oil and was not making any strange noises. Conclusion. Bad oil pressure sender. When replaced there was oil leaking from the electrical connector.

After replacement now have a steady oil pressure gauge.

Here's some more information that may be of help.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/336452-1997-mustang-wont-ignite.html