oil starvation in the head

thewrongguy

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2002
Windsor, ON Canada
I've been pulling apart my 2.3T cylinder head the past couple days. The Cam was really worn, as well as the followers and cam bearing. Everything else in the engine looked brand new amazingly enough, which kind of confirms my suspicions that the bottom end was rebuilt.

Anyways I was wondering if not getting enough oil to the cylinder head was a common problem on these engines? I'm going to look at the oil pump tommorow and see if its working within specs, but besides that I don't have alot of ideas.

Any suggestions? It's a relatively low mileage block (88,000 KM. ...65K mi?) But the previous owner was stingy with the oil changes.

Thanks

Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

Lack of oil changes can clog up the passages leading up to the head which can cause that wear. Since you're pulling everything apart, clean out those passages. Also the turbo cams wear ALOT more than the n/a 2.3.

Anyway, wearing the cam out is a very common problem with these engines. I wouldn't read to much into it. Just allowing dirty oil to be in your engine is enough to kill a slider cam in one of these engines. The pressure on the cam lobes is tremendous. That is why so many people like the ranger roller cam.

Posted by khal101 - Yesterday at 07:49 PM
Lack of oil changes can clog up the passages leading up to the head which can cause that wear. Since you're pulling everything apart, clean out those passages. Also the turbo cams wear ALOT more than the n/a 2.3.

got a question.... how do you clean them out?

matthew