Engine Oil Swap

• Sponsors (?)

What don't you like about the oil? I would stick with the recommendation from Ford. Your performance is not going to be affected and picking a different oil may increase wear.

If you are bent on changing the oil, you may be able to get away with changing the 5W, but I would not change the 50. The former is tied to cold temperature viscosity and the latter is high temperature viscosity. Maybe you won't see the colder temperatures that a 5W helps with but the engine will achieve the same operating temperature wherever you are. FYI, SAE50 actually has a higher viscosity than SAE30 at high temperature so I'm not sure why it would be called a thinner oil. These engines are not like the older engines that all used 5W-30 or 10W-30. It's your choice what you want to do, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have modifications that dictate a change.

Here is a reference:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What don't you like about the oil? I would stick with the recommendation from Ford. Your performance is not going to be affected and picking a different oil may increase wear.

If you are bent on changing the oil, you may be able to get away with changing the 5W, but I would not change the 50. The former is tied to cold temperature viscosity and the latter is high temperature viscosity. Maybe you won't see the colder temperatures that a 5W helps with but the engine will achieve the same operating temperature wherever you are. FYI, SAE50 actually has a higher viscosity than SAE30 at high temperature so I'm not sure why it would be called a thinner oil. These engines are not like the older engines that all used 5W-30 or 10W-30. It's your choice what you want to do, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have modifications that dictate a change.

Here is a reference:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Don't like the 5w, like you mentioned I don't see as much cold weather as other states. I've tried to find 10w-50 in other brands but the highest I was able to find was 10w-40. Preciate the incite though, guessing I'll stay with 5w-50 just will be changing brands. Thinking of Castrol, as it's the only other brand that has 5w-50 that I can find around here.

All oil goes thin when heated and 5W50 is about as good as you can do without going to STP!!:shrug:

BTW.....5W50 is "thicker" than 10W30.....the low number is effective weight cold and the high number is effective weight hot!!:cool:

Thicker oil will not lubricate better and WILL rob power!!:notnice:

All oil goes thin when heated and 5W50 is about as good as you can do without going to STP!!:shrug:

BTW.....5W50 is "thicker" than 10W30.....the low number is effective weight cold and the high number is effective weight hot!!:cool:

Thicker oil will not lubricate better and WILL rob power!!:notnice:[/QU
going to stick with 5w-50, like in the above threads they didn't put that weight oil in there for no reason. Thinking of going with Lucas high performance 5w-50. Thoughts??

There is no real MAGIC in different oil brands or additives!!:nonono:
Just use what the manufacturer recommends and change it and the filter at reasonable intervals....you will be fine!!:nice: