Oil Weight Survey

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
There seems to be alot of threads lately on what brand/weight of oil to use. I thought it might be usefull if we made a list of what oil brand/weights we use , where we live and what the climate is like. Might give new members an idea of what works for what climates or give old memebers a perspective on what works for other guys. I don't know if this will be sticky worthy or not but here it goes.

Castrol GTX 20W-50 summer 10W-40 winter. I live in Arkansas we see temps in the summer of up to 102 and temps in the winter can dip down to the low 20's

• Sponsors (?)

I've used Mobil-1 5w30 in everything I own for years.

I used to live in CT, summers could reach 100, winter could be below zero. These are extremes of course.

Now I live in WA, it's more like between 35-75, give or take.

I just bought some 10w30 I'm going to try, but I have always preferred a light oil.

I run 10-40 High Milage with Lucas Oil Treatment (thick honey like stuff), but I also have 188k on the short block. With a fresher motor I would run 5-30 Mobile One Synthetic....unless you dont care about money then run Redline or Amsoil :D

Midwest:

Valvoline Synthetic 5w-30 for winter (it can get to 0 or below in the winter)

Valvoline Synthetic 10w-30 for the rest of the year (Should be over a 100* heat index this weekend)

Full Synthetic straight 50w for the self contained blower regardless of season (brand not specific)

AZ. Highs of 115*F at times (straight temps, no indexing). Lows generally 50-80*F.

I run 20W-50 in the summer, or M1 15-50.

In the 'winter' (my mild time of year), I run 10W-40 dino oil.

It is a good idea about the sticky James.

It would be cool to have one like on the 94-95 side, with basic "daily question" type stuff and idiosyncrasies.

On this thread, another thing that would be cool is to know what peoples' oil pressure is, with said oil.

bobbys9350 said:
i dont think its a good idea to keep going from syn. to dino ;/

Yeah man...stick with one or the other. Synthetic has detergents in it that can cause leaks in old seals (cleans out the gunk plugging the holes) and swiching between the two can cause seals to expand and retract.

Skoobie said:
Yeah man...stick with one or the other. Synthetic has detergents in it that can cause leaks in old seals (cleans out the gunk plugging the holes) and swiching between the two can cause seals to expand and retract.
Old fashion synthetics used to be that way, the new ones are not. If fact they sell blended oils today that are half synthetic and half regular. I use 10W-30 in my Stang as I get a little lifter tick on 5W-30.

MarSaleenMustan said:
since a 5.0L motor has a 5quart capacity it works out perfect, four quarts of whatever oil you use and one of the lucas stuff.... if you're using conventional oil use the "regular" lucas, but if you're running synthetic use the synthetic one.

Ok sorry to sound ignorant here, but what exactly do i need? I went on their site and there is a butt load of products. I do run synthetic and what does that 1 quart of lucas oil do? what are the benefits?