Oil weight?

GroverDill

GoldMember
Founding Member
Aug 18, 1999
Demotte IN 46310
I changed the oil in the Fox today after I installed the Canton dipstick. I used non syn 20w50 as it will be changed again after it gets tuned. So the question is what oil would you suggest for regular use? The car is just a weekend warrior with a stroker 363 and a 76mm turbo.

What say you?

• Sponsors (?)

Your engine clearances are in the typical SBF range of .001-.003" for rod and main bearings, so chances are a 5w30 or 10w30 would be fine. I'd ask Rick what he recommends since he built it, just to be on the safe side though.

I generally can't use anything thinner than 10w-40 in teh Notch or the Black Pearl in the summer months. They're both high-mileage motors, and anything thinner than that those motors seem to inhale and blow out the tailpipe a lot faster. Yayyyy for worn rings! :banana:

In the winter months, I don't go thinner than 10w-30. But then, it almost never gets below freezing here, either, so ... meh. :shrug:

If your motor has fairly fresh rings and bearings - like, less than 50k - then I'd stick with 5w-30, although 10w-30 isn't going to hurt anything. Going with 20w-50 seems like overkill on a "young" motor, to me.

I would say you’re a little thick for those bearing clearances. What kind of oil pressure are you running? I would say 5-30 or 10-30 would be fine. I bet if you run it on the dyno make a pull with 20-50 then do a oil change with 10-30 you will pick up some power.

Remember you can actually scuff bearing if the oil is too thick especially on cold starts. Make sure that motor is good and warm before you go rag on it with that oil.

20-50 is great oil if you are getting a lot of fuel wash such as a alcohol application.

On a side note, small block chevy wrist pins:)

Scott

Not to thread jack, but its a similar question. I have a 100k mile stock engine, its got pretty low oil pressure and eats a lot of oil. Should I up my weight? I think im using 10w-30 right now.

LOL that spec. sheet looks familiar i was looking at mine yesterday from rick, funny i just texted him hour ago about mileage before going to synthetic oil i have 1200 miles he said he likes 3000 before switching no problem i'll wait. Im gonna try that new Castrol Edge Synthetic 10w 30 with a quart of my old faithful Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer:nice: