Oiling Question

Discussion in '2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech' started by manny, Sep 2, 2011.

  1. i've seen in some mini stock catalogs that there is a part that is used to limit the flow of oil to the head thus sending more to the block. Has anyone ever used one? does anyone know where it gets installed?
  2. I've never used one, and don't quote me on this, but i believe its a restrictor that goes in the oil galley that feeds the head, either in the block or in the bottom of the head. Or maybe built into the head gasket.
  3. i've seen the piece. it looks like a short length of rod and it gets bigger in diameter as it gets to the end. yes it is called an oil restricter for the head. they say the head doesnt need that much oil so that with this rod installed it directs more oil to the bottom end where it is needed. i do run a roller style cam so i just thought that this sounds like a good idea.
  4. I run one in a solid roller head at the local dirt track. The solids dont need the oil that a hydraulic does. If you have a hydraulic head even a roller leave it be. It installs in the head on the drivers side where the sending unit goes. I hope I helped.
  5. Yep - what David said.

    I would stay away from that if you are running a stock type engine for daily use. Been told that Restricting oil to the top is fine on racing motor because the RPMs are usually on the high end and you have alot of higher constant pressure going to the head versus driver where you idle and low rpm alot.