Ok couple of questions about my finally finished 2.3

Ni4Ni3022

Jun 17, 2003
So i did the turbo swap. Pain in the neck!!! i took my 86 2.3 N/a and dropped in an 87 turbocoupe motor and tranny. Far as the motor goes, crower rods, aftermarket comp cam, weisco forged pistons, adj. fuel pressure reg., adjustbale cam gear, and digital 6 MSD box. that is all i am running for now ( i want to break the motor in with mostly stock stuff)
Im debating if i should have a chip made for the computer because of the cam. It seems to run ok but i dont want to cause any damage to the motor. Should i pay the big bucks for tuning or just go with it untill i get more power on it with all my bolt ons and such?? The compression is 8:1 so it isnt far off stock at all!

Secondly, the tranny....were to start... I was at a light the other day in neatrul and went to put it back in gear and it wouldnt go. I couldnt get it in any gear at all it was like the clutch wasnt engaging. I have a brand new RAM clutch and pressure plate with a new throw out bearing. Now it is going into gear and stuff...sometimes... it makes a griding noise occasionaly (like two gears rubbing together in oppisite directions) when i try to go into reverse... any ideas??? I usually dont get higher than third gear in it (because of the stock 2.83 gears i have in the 8.8 rear) any ideas?!

thanks !

-Mike

• Sponsors (?)

check your linkage for your clutch. If i remember right, you can cure the "Reverse" grinding, by first coming to a stop, shifting into 5th and then down into reverse. I believe 5th and R are sychronized (or atleast that is what i heard).