OK, no Impala, but how about Grand Marquis??

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
OK, so the impala was a former cop car so that makes it out of the question. But on the dealer lot they also had a 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis with 107k miles, A/C, power everything, and they want $2871 for it. But after driving it and saying I had to leave, they went down to $2150 without even asking. Does this sound like a smoking deal to you guys or what. It has the 4.6 SOHC, and how are those on maintenance. I'd have to get a personal loan from the bank probably. My wife thinks the mustang is too small and with a cheaper boring car our payments go down as well as insurance. Sound like a good deal?? Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

The best car I have ever owned (besides the mustang of course) was a 1988 Grand Marquis. It had tons of room, rode excellent, got 25mph on the freeway, and was almost totally trouble free. For $2,000 the car would have to be in pretty good shape, you'd be suprized at how cheap they sell. If it runs and looks good, sounds like a good buy to me.

My mom has one and its faster than my wifes Mustang GT convertible, good on gas too. Her's is a 99 but I think that they are similar. Its a great car but they do have a couple of problems. As long as they are serviced regularly the drivetrain will last a long time. The problems we had were: 1. The climate control computer controller went bad $400 for the part and 2. The rear air bags went bad $300. The Grand Marquis is a delux verison of the Crown Vic. It has an air ride suspension that really makes them ride nice but requires fixing every 80-100K. I thinks its a great car.

I'd take back my 90 Crown Vic 5.8 or my 92 Grand Marquis 4.6 in a heartbeat. If it has been well maintained it's still a nice ride and you can get performance parts for the 4.6. Only problems I ever had with the 92 were plug wires and air bag ride height controller (just came disconnected).

Just some things to keep in mind. 1992 was the 1st year of the 4.6L, and the 1st year of that body for the Grand Marquis. I have an '86 and it's a great running car 243k miles. Overall, I love the car, lot's of room, decent mileage and great ride for long trips and a cavernous trunk! Here's a link that outlines some of the issues with the '92. I say yes to a Grand Marquis, just maybe not a 1992.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/reliability.aspx?modelid=1969