OK probably another stupid question!

TRIBALMAN23

Feb 23, 2008
I have asked a lot of questions and still don't understand what I need to do? Everyone has a lot of input but thats the problem, I can't seem to follow all of it.
I installed the O/R pipe from jegs that is aluminumized and installed Flowmaster Super 40's in back. I get a bad ( rap pap pap pap pap ) sound at around 2200-2500 rpm. Why? I have been told maybe the type of metal the O/R pipe is made out of makes that happen then told that it is the complete set-up. Does anyone else have an 06 GT and had some combination of this set-up? I kinda want to keep the Super 40's but willing to change whatever needed to get that loud muscle sound without the DRONE?---I think thats what the rap pap pap pap sound I get at certain rpm range. I do have MIL eliminators installed also but I know that doesn't change the sound. Should I change to pro-chamber or change mufflers? Quite frankly I am tired of messing with it and ready to move on to my next stages of upgrades. If you can help PLEASE do!! If need be I will provided my e-mail or phone number to anyone that is very knowledgeable in this field to better help me.

• Sponsors (?)

Are the Flowmaster Super 40's the mufflers that were specifically designed for S197 Mustangs? I previously had some 40 Series Flowmasters welded onto the stock exhaust in the stock location and had a terrible drone at around the same RPM range, almost to the point where I would have to downshift to 3rd gear driving in town to get out of that range. I recently purchased the Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust Kit for my 05 (this kit was specifically designed for the S197 Mustangs) and I was amazed to hear how much quieter this new exhaust is inside of the car, plus the dreaded drone is much much better. I'll be interested to hear what others are saying about the O/R H-pipe from Jegs, since I was thinking about ordering this same part. I was just on ebay last night and saw there are a couple of used American Thunder Kits for sale for a reasonable price. Something you may want to check on.

I don't know if they were specified for the new mustangs, I just ordered them from a guy on ebay. I told him what they were going on but I did not know if it would make a difference. I thought one type of muffler such as the super 40's were all the same until you got a different series such as the super 44's. Is this right?

Oh forgot to add I DO want to hear them inside the car. I'm originally a lifted truck guy and like hearing the exhaust but don't want that DRONE!!! I still want that powerful muscle car sound!!! Please more input is greatly appreciated.

Flowmasters specifically designed new mufflers for the S197 Mustang GT's

I don't know if they were specified for the new mustangs, I just ordered them from a guy on ebay. I told him what they were going on but I did not know if it would make a difference. I thought one type of muffler such as the super 40's were all the same until you got a different series such as the super 44's. Is this right?

Yes, the mufflers that are included in the S197 Flowmaster Exhaust Kit, were specifically designed for these cars. The reason, since the mufflers moved back to the rear of the car (behind the axle) there is not enough tailpipe to help reduce the drone. This is why Flowmaster had to change the muffler from the previous designs. All other previous years you could just remove the stock mufflers and weld-in some new flowmasters and have the sound and performance that you were looking for. Not true for the new mustangs, unless you can live with the drone. If you want there is an article on this website which explains what I'm talking about. It's in the Ultimate Sticky, Flowmaster Exhaust Install. Hope this helps.

Look into the borla stingers or the FRPP axle back (same thing), i've heard this setup and it sounds really mean. I had chambered mufflers (like the flows) and ended up putting my stockers back on because you couldn't talk to anyone inside the car. I think you want straight through type mufflers. Search on youtube for some sound clips, or browse through the sound clip thread here on the board.

I really dig the sound of the stockers on there, but now hate the puny pipes coming out the back.

So the flow 40's I got are probably not designed for the s197 right? I did happen to track down my old stock mufflers and am going to try and put them on tonight. If this still doesn't fix my ANNOYING drone should I look at getting different tips for the flows? I had some after market tips put on but maybe that is my problem.

i have a 08 gt with a pypes h pipe and the 40 series american thunder flowmasters, with the retarted tips and im from detroit and theres quite a few of em out here dressed the same as mine its not the car, its the muffelers and theres really not much you can do to change it except change to a different brand muffeler or put a catted h pipe back on

I had the same setup as you as few years ago when I got my 06. The Jegs O/R H pipe and the Flowmaster axle-back kit. I had issues with the h pipe coming apart at the crossover. You couldn't tell it was loose by just looking at it but when you got in the 2500 RPM rage it would make a hellaous noise as the pipes separated. It seems that the crossover pipes were just too short to easily clamp and stay together. I finally did get it tight enough to stay. I had to use a strap to pull the two pipes together and tighten the hell out of it. Soon after that I replaced it with a Pro-chamber which sounds a ton better in my opinion.

The sound you are experiencing is whats called "trumpets". This occurs only when an off road pipe is installed in conjunction with the 3v motor. The only way to eliminate the "trumpets" is to add either the stock cats or (for better sound quality) high flow cats. Off road pipes for our vehicles sound really messy and only sound good on the earlier modular and Fox body Mustangs.