Okay I cant decide so I need help. 88GT vs 85GT

dubbsix

Oct 18, 2006
Katy,TX
Here is the deal. I currently own a 88gt that did not run when i bought it and I have since removed the motor and started planning the motor build...when i came across a 85 GT for $1400.

Here is the break down for both cars.

88GT:
Purchased for $500
$500.00 back registration
Needs small dents and dings removed before paint
Needs new front bumper cover
Needs new rear bumper cover
Needs new carpet
Needs new drivers seat
Both seats need cleaning.
Has bent radiator support
Needs new radiator
Needs clutch
Needs Windshield
New Front Lights
Engine requires rebuild
Needs tires

85GT
$1400 Purchase price
Runs and drives(all stock)
Needs Clutch
Needs tires
Needs headliner
Needs big dent pulled/repair from rear quarter
Needs front bumper
Needs door panels

I know the list for the 88 is longer, but I feel someone connected to the 88 and just dont want to abandon it. I know i guess that silly. My intent is to build on a budget a car that can put down close to 350HP. I already have a set of gt40 heads. so which approach is best?

Thanks for looking because im totally caught!

• Sponsors (?)

I vote for the 85gt also. I had a nice one about 13yrs or so ago and I kick myself everytime I look at a picture of it. I also am partial to 4eye cars and would give almost anything to find and get my old car back.

My personal preference is the '85. Not a huge fan of the 87-93 GT body styling, and I'm partial to 4-eyes anyway.

That said, you're going to spend a lot of time and money on that '85 just getting it up to 87-93 standards. There are a lot of little nuances about the 4 eye cars that you find along the way that are different from the Aero cars. Wiring is different, plumbing is different, they use different parts, some of the chassis and suspension is different.... Etc. It's just stupid little stuff mostly, but it adds up and can be a PITA.

What's so different about the 85 besides the exhaust and rear end?

A million little things. Strut towers are shaped differently. Different brake system setup. (Obviously) different wire harness. Different battery/battery tray. Different alternator. Blah blah blah blah.

Believe me, I've been dealing with this for 8 years with my '86, which has even more in common with the '87-'93 cars than an '85 does. It just gets frustrating when it's so easy to find parts and upgrades for '87-'93 cars, but to install them on your 4-eye you have to first do this, this, and this.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 4-eye. :D

I vote for the '85, and agree with you. Their really aren't too many of them here on the west coast - saw a TON at Carlisle a few weeks back. I think they look a bit tougher, more muscle car, less sports car. That's my two cents! Maybe post some pics up of the two

A million little things. Strut towers are shaped differently. Different brake system setup. (Obviously) different wire harness. Different battery/battery tray. Different alternator. Blah blah blah blah.

Believe me, I've been dealing with this for 8 years with my '86, which has even more in common with the '87-'93 cars than an '85 does. It just gets frustrating when it's so easy to find parts and upgrades for '87-'93 cars, but to install them on your 4-eye you have to first do this, this, and this.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 4-eye. :D

I feel your frustration. I think the carb setup will be more in my budget than the efi and the 85 is actually a running driving car where mine is a basket case. Where I live there are plenty of mustangs in the junkyard so things like rear-ends, trans cross members for duals are easy to come by. Can I get 350HP from a top end swap on a carb'd 5.0?

Well, it may be possible with a stock cam but i personally haven't seen it done. If i had to guess i would say my 302 was making around 300 at the wheels with my C9 heads, X303 cam, Stealth intake and 650 Holley and all the other usual stuff. That guess is judging by how much power my 347 makes with the same heads/intake/carb, but slightly more cam.