Okay I have a few Questions for you guys. I just bought a 351 and I need some info.

SuperDust22

The Power of Pixie Dust?!
Oct 19, 2003
Gilbert,AZ
Hey guys, this is my first time to post over here. I don't know if you guys could help me out or not. I just bought a 351 for my 94'. I was hoping to get some info on the motor. It is a 351W out of a 70' Ranchero. I was wondering how good the heads are on it and how strong is the crank. Where are some good places to buy parts for it. I am just looking for 400 rwhp+ out on it. I will go S/C in the furture so I will set up everything for the blower. I don't need the best of everything just what will get me by. I am still in college. I might just port the heads to begin with. I am also going EFI. Just give me all the info you can. Thanks so much guys.

Dustin

• Sponsors (?)

The stock crank will be OK for street strip use, but for all out performance I'd go with an aftermarket crank and the heads if properly ported will give you the 400 HP you're looking for. You must remember that the early 1970 engine is a 28oz balance where the engine in your 94 is a 50oz...you'll need a 28oz flywheel and balancer or it'll have a vibration in it.

The heads on the 70's are actually really good. I did a port and gasket match job on mine and there was a big difference. Any of the major places (Jegs, Summit, etc) all have lots of parts for the 351.

The balance weights on 351's didn't change over the years. They were ALL 28oz/in . The only parts I'd worrry about is the rods, those early 351 rods, while being forged, have square cut bolt faces, that's the weak link there. Invest in a good set of aftermarket rods and you're good to go. The crank is PLENTY tough, no worries there. The heads should have the larger ports and valves , valve sizes were 1.84/1.60 on thise heads.

I hope you don't have strict emission laws in AZ. If not, go with some super comps from Hooker and a set of AFR 185's. Didn't you say you were just going to do some work on the heads that you have though because you don't have a lot of money? If that is the case then AFR's and Hookers are probabaly too expensive.

I will get good heads later first I just want to get motor in the car. How much do the hookers go for? I was thinking I might just port the heads which I can do and then get a good valve job. Will those headers work on both stock and AFR 185 heads.

Dustin