omg help

i just broke a wheel stud in the back (drivers side)
i went to pull the wheel off for polishing and to paint the rear calipers and a lug was crossthreaded and snapped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so conveniently the late night autozone is closing early for floor polishing:mad:

i have access to another car or two tmmrw so i can go get another one, otherwise i would be replacing it tonight. How hard is it to replace a wheel stud???

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:mad::mad::mad::stupid:

• Sponsors (?)

Pull the rear axle and beat the old stud out.

BFH is your friend.. Get a QUALITY punch to drive the old stud out.

It would be a help to have a vice. You can use a few washers and a grade 8 nut from the hardware store to pull the new stud in its place.

If you have the right set up you can press it in or beat it in.

just beat the old stud out.

then get a large nut that will slide over the new stud.

spray the open lug hole with PB blaster and insert new stud. slide large nut over new stud.use a new 1/2 20 open end lug nut and a large breaker bar to tighten the nut down and pull the stud thru the hole.

it also helps to freeze the stud for a few hours.

if you have access to air tools this will be a LOT easier. just use an impact gun in place of the large breaker bar

Whew,
I have air tools so that should help. I got to thinking on getting the broke one out, I can take my Bosch Hammer and either take a point bit and hammer, OR use the sds chuck and attach it to the stud and drive it out like that.. Hmm... I already gave it a shot of PB and i'll get started on it in the morning. I've never done brake work on calipers before but i have alot of resource tech info and plenty of gearhead friends so i think it's gonna work out ok. A whole $1.92 for a new stud..

Thanks to all

Jz

DSC00847.jpg

OK

Old broke came out pretty easy, Now i'm enjoying trying to pull the new one in all the way. my impact was a weakling until i started cussing at it and saw the oil fill hole, put some mobil 1 in it and now it's doing better. compressor hates me though :D

Good deal! Doesnt it really irk you when doing something simple like taking off wheels results in something like that....sorta makes you feel sick in the stomach :(

yea something so simple, I thought at one point about taking it to the shop i bought the tires from and get them to fix it since they were the last ones to put the wheels on the car. then i figured it's just $2 and i needed something to do and explore that area of the car anyway.. I don't recommend taking the ebrake sping off the cailper though, pita x8 to get back on... :mad:

since u helped me i voted 4 u in SOTM!!!!! (and cause u got a nice ride)

Thanks Again!!!!:nice: