Once and For All.....Door to Body Weather Stripping Shootout

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Excellent job Wayne and thanks so much for your help. I did the DC seals for both doors but also the trunk on my convertible. Your reviews were spot on! The convertible requires one extra piece for the door seal, locate at the top of the seal at the rear and are listed as "end caps". I also had DC replacements for them. I'd have to give them a thumbs down though. I highly recommend to anyone they use their originals if at all possible. I installed one DC and it not only fit like crap but didn't have the holes for the attaching rivets. I took it back off and used my originals.

For anyone curious about Blue Oval I have bought things from them a number of times with no issues. Most of my purchases are from LMR, with some from NPD and usually Blue Oval offers the same part at a much cheaper price. When I buy from Blue Oval I just look the part up on their Ebay listing and purchase through there. Never had a problem and got a super deal on the door and trunk weatherstripping. It was a kit (yeah I know Wayne hates kits!), ;) but I confirmed all the seals were Daniel Carpenter.

Again Wayne, GREAT job!!

Excellent job Wayne and thanks so much for your help. I did the DC seals for both doors but also the trunk on my convertible. Your reviews were spot on! The convertible requires one extra piece for the door seal, locate at the top of the seal at the rear and are listed as "end caps". I also had DC replacements for them. I'd have to give them a thumbs down though. I highly recommend to anyone they use their originals if at all possible. I installed one DC and it not only fit like crap but didn't have the holes for the attaching rivets. I took it back off and used my originals.

For anyone curious about Blue Oval I have bought things from them a number of times with no issues. Most of my purchases are from LMR, with some from NPD and usually Blue Oval offers the same part at a much cheaper price. When I buy from Blue Oval I just look the part up on their Ebay listing and purchase through there. Never had a problem and got a super deal on the door and trunk weatherstripping. It was a kit (yeah I know Wayne hates kits!), ;) but I confirmed all the seals were Daniel Carpenter.

Again Wayne, GREAT job!!
Thank you John. I appreciate the post and the info. And verified kits are cool with me....lol. Blue Oval does sell a whole DC kit for each style Fox.

Thank you very much for this write up. I did not want to add pressure to you, but I was waiting to buy weatherstrip until you posted your results. Thank you for taking a very scientific approach with standard sets of measure for all products. I’m a very OCD and data-driven person, so this evaluation was pure gold for me. Thank you again.

Thank you very much for this write up. I did not want to add pressure to you, but I was waiting to buy weatherstrip until you posted your results. Thank you for taking a very scientific approach with standard sets of measure for all products. I’m a very OCD and data-driven person, so this evaluation was pure gold for me. Thank you again.
You are welcome. Yeah, I have the same OCD problem. My friends bring stuff to me knowing it's going to take me longer than most but they are fine with that since they also know they get the attention to detail they want. Thanks for the post.

I received the Daniel Carpenter seals from Blue Oval Industries. My initial observations were the bulb was thinner and softer and there was very little rib connecting it to the clamp. Vent holes in the bulb were spaced about every foot. I measured the seal height compressed and uncompressed. Old Seal: 0.846"/0.745", DC Seal: 0.745"/0.655". The seal installed nicely, especially in the corners. The door closed with a small amount of pushing and released with a gentle tug on the handle. I am satisfied with the result. Thanks Wayne for your evaluation of door seals. It was worth the wait.

Attachments

• IMG_8771.jpg
    IMG_8771.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8772.jpg
    IMG_8772.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_8774.jpg
    IMG_8774.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8776.jpg
    IMG_8776.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8780.jpg
    IMG_8780.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: 1 users
I received the Daniel Carpenter seals from Blue Oval Industries. My initial observations were the bulb was thinner and softer and there was very little rib connecting it to the clamp. Vent holes in the bulb were spaced about every foot. I measured the seal height compressed and uncompressed. Old Seal: 0.846"/0.745", DC Seal: 0.745"/0.655". The seal installed nicely, especially in the corners. The door closed with a small amount of pushing and released with a gentle tug on the handle. I am satisfied with the result. Thanks Wayne for your evaluation of door seals. It was worth the wait.
Thank you....and thanks for the pics. Glad you got what you need.

appreciate your time doing this I need seals for my car and I was just going to go out and buy the cheapest available. Now we have something to compare against.
Thanks for the post. Weatherstripping isn't something you buy very often so get what works the best. I just wish we had this option on all our replacement parts....headlights, TFI, PIP, etc.

I installed the new DC seal on the passenger side and shutting required tremendous force. I removed the striker and observed the initial seal contact point was at the top rear corner of the door. The door top is about 1/4 inch from flush and the mid point of the door about 1-1/4 inch from being flush. I rechecked the door fit with it slammed closed and it is flush and square. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 7518A666-71A7-4126-9EBB-263E2F46F717.jpeg
    7518A666-71A7-4126-9EBB-263E2F46F717.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 147
  • C56FF67F-FF55-4248-A161-6EC95A803F40.jpeg
    C56FF67F-FF55-4248-A161-6EC95A803F40.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 171
  • E9EEB67F-4524-40AD-BE2A-7BD7CCFB0D66.jpeg
    E9EEB67F-4524-40AD-BE2A-7BD7CCFB0D66.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 149
That is a door issue. That frame is flexible so when you force it closed it naturally pushes the top outward. Take all weatherstripping completely out and put the striker back in. Set the striker to hold the door flush on the outside so that the door is flush with the quarter panel. Don't slam it. If the top rear corner of the door frame touches before the striker latches then there's your problem.

I didn’t mention it, but earlier I did pull the door seal and adjusted the striker bolt so closing the door left the door flush with body. The rear corner of the door frame was set in too far about 3/8 inch. Question is how do I fix that? Can the frame be tweaked outward by loosening some screws inside the door?

Well guess I should have read this a long time ago. Anyways I bought these LMR brand door seals awhile back and just had them sitting around. My originals were pretty bad so I decided to give the drivers side a go. Not sure if LMR changed their bulb mold but it seems different than the ones you posted, not so round but can tell it’s surely bigger diameter wise than the originals, and
C8019BF8-F536-4C04-956A-C592DCB5C039.jpeg
D438A80E-268E-4311-BCCA-B6C65BD82F65.jpeg
BEEF0356-C121-46E2-BA70-5F346B4A3CF2.jpeg
B885E623-0219-4EA2-93DD-8FCBA3C09AA9.jpeg
these still didnt have the vent holes etc as the originals or the other brands did. For the most part it went in pretty easy, started and went clock wise around the door and then hit the first 90 degree spot and had some trouble. Tried stretching it and snugging it in but could not get this crease out. Currently haven’t replaced the striker bushings as both are missing and idk for how long. I’ve had the bushings sitting around and just haven’t done it. Anyways got it snugged in best I could and closed the door and it shut easily. Tried again and then it didn’t. Also noticed when the door is completely shut the top corner seems pushed out more compared to the passenger side that still have the original in place as well as around the area of the bottom where the quarter glass edge meets the outer door belt molding. Seems like I’m gonna call it quits with these and order the other ones mentioned.