One glowing primary

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
my car was running like total crap lately, at part throttle its been bucking while crusing. so tonite after i got back from a drive i poped the hood to check for spark arcing. What i did see, through my heat wrap my #3 cyl was glowing red....all the way to the collector! the other ones weren't....so this makes me wonder.....what can cause this?

I was thinking a bad fuel injector? there only 2 years onld frpp 42's but who knows.....any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

exh. temps are one thing I have found are kinda important..esp. with boost (in talking to others I found this out).

I think its 1 or 2 things that cause this...unburned fuel getting sent to that exh. prim. and being burned in the header, or REALLY lean comb. mix (can also be due to sending too much fuel into the exh.) making more heat go from that cyl.

I would deff. look at doing a comp. check/leak down and look at the plugs as well as inj. (move it around and see if the glowing stops and moves to a diff. tube), also checking the signal to the inj. with a noid light.

i agree....im betting its a spark issue.....probably a burnt wire on that cyl.....

what makes me very angry though is that i have to go UNDER the car and that one is the hardest plug to access.....it makes me want to do sparkplugs on a ls1.

i wish there was a good way to tell, but im afraid i have to get in there.

good idea on moving the inj. If i dont see any spark issues....thats next.

What a friggin PITA....kinda makes me want to go back to N/A.