One Piece At A Time....just Like Dave!

Just fyi I didn't know clay bar removes overspray on windows and such. For detailing Jax Wax is good stuff, but don't buy their foam gun....their manufacture on Amazon sells the foam gun for like $15 instead of $60+

Great work sir!

• Sponsors (?)

Ok guys, I have not been happy with my paint job. I don't know..maybe i'm just too picky but I saw flaws...lots of them. I was actually getting depressed. So, I decided to do something about it. Meet my new best friends

p4p5V9.jpg

I laid down some cash and got a really nice Dewalt buffer with adjustable rpm. I then went for the 3M compound and polish and got busy. I must say, you really do get what you pay for. That 3M stuff is amazing. I spent 9 hours wetsanding and buffing and the results are more than I could have hoped for! I started with 1500 wet, then 3000 wet, then compound then polish. Here are my results.

Roof

MrV9xg.jpg

nLwD2T.jpg

Rear quarter in progress

yDAwE3.jpg

Finished product.

mI3NzP.jpg

G8j2ma.jpg

Is it show quality? Hell no! Is it presentable? Hell Yeah!

Reactions: 4 users
Before I forget, I got my marti report. I was actually disappointed. It didn't really tell me a whole lot I didn't already know. I thought it would have told me how many SSP cars in royal blue there were. You know, like your car is 1 of (x) number of ssp cars in royal blue. It didn't. Myabe I expected too much? I'm not saying the report isn't a cool thing because it is. But for $50+ I didn't find out a whole lot of new info except for date scheduled and date built. Kind of a bummer for me.

Nice job! Cutting and buffing takes a lot of time but with a little knowledge and hard work the results can be quite satisfying.
I see you started with a wool pad, what color foam pad did you finish with?

If you want all of the detail stuff from Marti, you have to pony up for the $250 report. I will eventually get that for my blue car. They'll let you upgrade with a discount for the report you've already bought.

You used almost exactly what I use at work Chris. Dewalt buffer, 3M products (though I'm getting ready to switch over to Mcguires stuff). There's a third step you'll want to use with 3M. They have a swirl mark remover that uses a blue foam pad and a blue swirl mark remover glaze. It'll take out the swirls from the grey pad and glaze that I assume you used to this point.

Trust me on this, it will give you that clean and clear look you are after.

Thanks Dave. Yes that is what I used so far. I can get the blue pad and swirl remover. All of the 3M stuff was on sale. Each bottle was $30ish? I thought that was reasonable. I love the results now, I can only imagine after the third step.

Thanks Dave. Yes that is what I used so far. I can get the blue pad and swirl remover. All of the 3M stuff was on sale. Each bottle was $30ish? I thought that was reasonable. I love the results now, I can only imagine after the third step.
That's a very good price, I think we pay in the mid forties at the shop.

I started using it doing some side work because that's what the guy had to use. Turns out I really like it. The compound cuts a little quicker and the polish brightens up the finish a little better to me.

The only reason I hadn't used it before is complacency with 3M products. They worked, so I didn't give it much other thought.

3Ms stuff used to be the best. It's still very good too. I just stop checking out other products.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure I just sold my 91 hatchback? A guy I know stopped by, looked at it and asked if I would sell it. I threw out 5k off the top of my head. He said he would take it. Checked with my daughter, she said sell it. We have two other foxes she can drive. We will see if he shows up with the cash. I think he will.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, 1400ish. It doesn't take much. Maybe three or four smooth passes over the area? Be sure to wipe each area with a super soft cloth as you use it.

One problem with the blue swirl mark remover is that it dries to the point of having to go back with the grey if you don't wipe the residue off.