Fox One Piece Headlights

I'm pretty new to the forum. And don't know much. But headlights? I have the sve one piece and they look a million time better than the 3 piece. (In my personal opinion. I just like the look a lot more) so what are the issues everyone hates them for? I'm just curious and feel free to bash me and call me names. None of that bothers me. But would like to learn the Bad things about them since I do own them now lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure myself but I have these and like em. Mustang Headlight Kit with Amber Sidemarkers (94-98)

• Sponsors (?)

You just opened Pandora's box there, bubba.

I don't mind some of them. But there are a lot of people here that will give up their first born before they installed those.
This...

You shouldn't care about other peoples opinions on how something looks like 1pc vs 3pc headlights, it's your car. If you need help with install or what kind of lamps are best then that would be something I'm sure we could chime in on.

You should read the reviews on LateModel in regards to the 1pc, I believe some of those lights are not sealed very well and sometimes don't match the lines of the hood and fender as well as 3 pc lights.
... this...

My experience with aftermarket headlight lenses...

Aftermarket headlight lens kit - It took about 7 days to get the lenses, 20 minutes per side to install all 3 lenses and forever to try to align them.

I drove around for several days with the driver’s side headlight scanning the upper branches of trees for squirrels, owls and UFO’s. The headlight lens had extra slack between the retaining clip and the screw head which allowed the lens to shift around. I fixed that with some small washers between the screw heads and the bottom of the mounting hole. I would recommend that you find 2 extra adjustment screws per side - they are the ones with the hex ends on the end of the screw where it sticks through the mounting plate. That may help the alignment problems, as the stock setup only allows adjustment with 2 screws, and is hard to adjust in and down at the same time.

If you bought Genuine Ford headlights, the adjustment will be easy. If you bought reproduction headlights, they will be very difficult to align properly. I bought reproduction units the first time, and my headlights could not be aligned: they would shine up in the trees and across the road. I even had all 3 screws set up as adjustment screws.

The adjustment screws are upper inside and lower outside screws. If the headlights were re-assembled properly, they will have a 5/32" hex on the screw. You can use a 1/4" ratchet with a 5/32" socket. The upper screws can be reached with the hood up, while the lower screws may require you to lie on the ground in front of the car and reach them from the bottom.

To align the headlights, find a level spot with a wall 25-30 feet away. Disconnect the driver light and align up the passenger light so that the light pattern is slightly below of the actual centerline of the headlight. This is to illuminate the right hand side of the road. Reconnect the driver light and disconnect the passenger light. The driver light should be aimed so that the light pattern on the wall is inward about 6" and slightly below the centerline of the headlight. This keeps you from blinding the oncoming cars. Disconnecting and reconnecting the headlights helps to show which headlight is shining in what direction. Reproduction headlights may shine in several directions at the same time, making it very difficult to align them if both lights are on at the same time

One Stangnetter recommends putting a fender cover over the headlight that isn't being aligned. I like his idea, it's simpler than disconnecting the lamps.
... and this...

I'm beginning to think I opened Pandora by joining this group. And I don't care what other people think, I was just trying to start a conversation about the headlights. If I am going to get lectured about every post I make and why it will offend someone, I don't think I want to be a part of this group...and if it consists of people who are that anal about headlights, I know I don't.....bye!
... lead to this? Thinnest skin ever.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm late to the party I know. I've been workin,,,,,alot. But, I have to add my opinion of one piece headlights.

I think they look like s--t!:notnice:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm beginning to think I opened Pandora by joining this group. And I don't care what other people think, I was just trying to start a conversation about the headlights. If I am going to get lectured about every post I make and why it will offend someone, I don't think I want to be a part of this group...and if it consists of people who are that anal about headlights, I know I don't.....bye!

This is a public forum, and there are lots of opinions.

Opinions are like noses, everybody has one. When you post a problem or question, you open the door and ask other people to poke their noses in your business. Some of the responses will be agreeable and other will not. That's reality.

Some of the posts will warn you about quality/service/fit problems; you should look at those seriously. They may save you some time and money by tipping you off to something that doesn't fulfill the purpose it was intended for.

Joe R.

Ok, I'll elaborate on my first post.

When the one piece headlight initially came out, the fitment still needed to be fine tuned and the one piece design just did not agree with the opening in the body panels aesthetically. The second point of contention was the design of the light itself at initial offering. They were mainly a "euro" type style and again, was not aesthetically pleasing to a lot of the fox guys. This is the main reason a lot of people don't care for them.

Now, there are some designs that have come out that I don't mind. BUT I can absolutely guarantee that the mis-alignment of my body panels (hood, fender, and bumper cover) would only be exaggerated by the use of a one piece headlight.

In the forum, you will find that a lot of people have strong feelings about varying from OE styling, even down to cowl hoods. Should you solicit opinions here, you should be prepared to get all kinds, not just the ones you want to hear.

To add to that, if you are a new member and you come in and start flinging pointed statements before any of the usual suspects get used to you, be fully prepared to be burned at the stake. This is a community. New members are always welcomed, but only on peaceful terms.

Reactions: 1 users
Pointed statements? I'm not flinging anything lol. And I don't mind being called names or anything. (And I'm not saying anyone did call me anything). I originally stated I don't mind the heated banter and that I purchased the one piece lights and wanted to know why people didn't like them. If there was actual reasoning behind it or if it was just personal opinion. I have seen only one post with any info and was more or less try g to to see if anyone actually had info on why they are not good. Your post has that exact kind of info I was talking about. With what u just said it makes a ton more sense to me personally now why some people are against them. And usually aftermarket stuff will look off when it comes to alignment as it is mass produced by more than likely a foreign company that just matches bolt patterns and comes close enough with their measurements to sell a bunch of cheap product. I'm not flinging anything. I'm not stirring the pot. As a new member I am at the mercy of all the vets as I have very little knowledge. But that's why I came here. For info. If I offended anyone (which I wouldn't understand) then oh well. As for the OP.... If he left after a little hazing then that's on him. All I was saying is I don't mind the banter toward me. I realize this is a forum with many many opinions. But it also has a lot of great knowledge that newbs can learn from.

Okay, one more post before I stomp off in a huff for good...maybe. The reason I joined this forum in the first place was because I have received a lot of good information from it and other mustang forums, without even joining. I have spent the past year rebuilding a 92 convertible. There were plenty of problems along the way that were solved by a simple Google search which usually led me to one of these forums. So I thought what the heck, maybe I will meet up with some like minded souls that would be fun to exchange info with.

My first post mentioned the term "cobra clone"...I was hammered for that. Then I make a post on what I considered a relatively safe topic--headlights, and got hammered for that. So I thought, who needs this. I can get the info for free, anonymously, so who needs the grief. It has been my experience that on most forums of any subject matter, most often times the response you get starts off with, "You Idiot...." Maybe I was a little hasty in stomping off, but life is too short to spend it dealing with people's attitudes.

Well how about starting a thread in talk introduce yourself SHOW PICS OF YOUR CAR (if you've been lurking you know some are awesome some two step saved from the crusher) all are welcome this form has car enthusiasts and that breeds help, and opinions. But help is always there.

Don't leave though. Don't take everything to heart. A lot of people are die hard one way or another and put there opinion in there and it comes off as disrespectful. I would think for the most part not many if any of these guys really wants to make you feel bad about what you are doing. I'm new here too and I've been on forums and it's just the way it goes. Those people have been around a while and this is there turf. lol. They will speak their minds freely. Aside from that there is also a lot of people on here that will help you as U said without even joining these forums have a ton of info. Just don't take everything they say to heart. Let them be the way they are. (Not saying anyone is a way that is bad) just different ways of talking and getting there point across

You should get together with the other guy who thinks FB is a better source of Mustang tech.

Okay, one more post before I stomp off in a huff for good...maybe. The reason I joined this forum in the first place was because I have received a lot of good information from it and other mustang forums, without even joining. I have spent the past year rebuilding a 92 convertible. There were plenty of problems along the way that were solved by a simple Google search which usually led me to one of these forums. So I thought what the heck, maybe I will meet up with some like minded souls that would be fun to exchange info with.

My first post mentioned the term "cobra clone"...I was hammered for that. Then I make a post on what I considered a relatively safe topic--headlights, and got hammered for that. So I thought, who needs this. I can get the info for free, anonymously, so who needs the grief. It has been my experience that on most forums of any subject matter, most often times the response you get starts off with, "You Idiot...." Maybe I was a little hasty in stomping off, but life is too short to spend it dealing with people's attitudes.

Just saying that I hope you don't leave. Don't let the attitudes and opinions of a few others stop you from soliciting opinions or advise. FWIW I don't think any response was directed at you personally. Some topics just have histories separate from our own knowledge of them, and there are many people here who know a lot, and are kind enough to share what they know. Even those that sometimes get tired of regurgitating responses to the the same old question over and over again will still provide useful advise in between the occasional snippy sounding comment that may come across as "oh. this again..". So monitor this thread, see if anything useful pops up. If it does, then you gain something (like jrichker's reasoned advise about aftermarket headlights). If not, you still haven't invested much personal capital in the issue anyway.

Hope you stay.. At some point, who knows, you may come across an issue that will really benefit from the experience of people on here (rather than just a personal preference issue, which is what this seems to be), and it would be a shame for you to hesitate to reach out just because of this thread.

FWIW. I had to replace my headlights recently after a minor fender bender that cracked a headlight. One piece units just weren't for me (personal preference), but I wish I'd had jrichkers story before I let the body shop use cheapo headlights. They're still out of wack!

Reactions: 1 user
Just saying that I hope you don't leave. Don't let the attitudes and opinions of a few others stop you from soliciting opinions or advise. FWIW I don't think any response was directed at you personally. Some topics just have histories separate from our own knowledge of them, and there are many people here who know a lot, and are kind enough to share what they know. Even those that sometimes get tired of regurgitating responses to the the same old question over and over again will still provide useful advise in between the occasional snippy sounding comment that may come across as "oh. this again..". So monitor this thread, see if anything useful pops up. If it does, then you gain something (like jrichker's reasoned advise about aftermarket headlights). If not, you still haven't invested much personal capital in the issue anyway.

Hope you stay.. At some point, who knows, you may come across an issue that will really benefit from the experience of people on here (rather than just a personal preference issue, which is what this seems to be), and it would be a shame for you to hesitate to reach out just because of this thread.

FWIW. I had to replace my headlights recently after a minor fender bender that cracked a headlight. One piece units just weren't for me (personal preference), but I wish I'd had jrichkers story before I let the body shop use cheapo headlights. They're still out of wack!
What a refreshing reply, he told about the lay of the land and gave an opinion on a product. This guy hit the nail on the head. The deal is this Keith, we're kinda running out of topics and problems here to discuss due to the age of the car. A lot has been said in 20 years and not much has changed in the last 10 or so as far as the aftermsrket. In result some of the folks that have been hanging around awhile are getting tired of the same ole same ole and on occasion they jump the gun and give a snarky dickish response without answering a question. I beleive it's just due to the frustration of the same ole discussions/arguments and telling the new guy to scan for codes. Is this cool? Nah not really but thems the breaks kid. I bet the mustang II guys are really grumpy..

I see that you all chased off another one. :O_o:

Once again you failed to fleece him for cash before chasing him out the door. My cut for this one is coming outta the next. :p

Reactions: 1 users