Oops Made 17 Psi And Now White Smoke Come Out The Exhaust?

Stevenmverrill

5 Year Member
Oct 24, 2017
Lol I know what I did. Or do i?

First ting I noticed was ultrablack/gasket material in my coolant.

So while taking it down for head gaskets/check block. My intake manifold came right off and I found pure all green puddles in the valley, and the intake, and the gasket did not look good. I see now blown out spots or carbon from the head gasket.

The 5 6 and 8 cylinders had coolant.

About to put it together with a new intake gasket and see what happens.

Thought?

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry a pivotal typo. * found no blown out head gasket/carbon.

Plan is to leave the heads on. As it appears clear to me the intake lifted. Unless anyone can draw a different conclusion.

In the very near future I'm building a motor for the car. Just want to keep this thing together.

As for the boost. I got a 10psi waste gate but with a full boost reference it only gives 4psi. So I put a mechanical boost controller on and I've been getting Wild results based on where that thing is set.

Sorry a pivotal typo. * found no blown out head gasket/carbon.

Plan is to leave the heads on. As it appears clear to me the intake lifted. Unless anyone can draw a different conclusion.

In the very near future I'm building a motor for the car. Just want to keep this thing together.

As for the boost. I got a 10psi waste gate but with a full boost reference it only gives 4psi. So I put a mechanical boost controller on and I've been getting Wild results based on where that thing is set.

Bad choice; the high pressure wasn't in the intake manifold, it was in the cylinders; that's where all the pressure gets created.

Pull the driver's side head and plan to have it taken to the machine shop and have it checked for flatness and cracks. If it needs to be resurfaced to remove the low spots, pull the other head and have it resurfaced as well. Put it back together using ARP studs and a head gasket designed to be run with a supercharger. See Summit Racing for Cometic MLS Head Gaskets C5514-075 gaskets designed to be run on boosted engines.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI-pT8wKT52AIV1DqBCh1PgATpEAQYBCABEgJ_1vD_BwE

The ARP studs can be installed one at a time if the other head does not need to be removed.
See Summit Racing https://www.summitracing.com/search...rdMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=ARP studs

Reactions: 3 users
Second jrichker's advice. I had all sorts of problems even lesser boost back in the day until I studded the heads. Highly recommend confirming heads/deck/block are all ok and getting studs.

@Stevenmverrill Are you sure you have a 10# spring? Another Stangnet member here thought he had a higher PSI spring and couldn't build boost. He later found that he only had a 7.5psi spring not a higher rated one. The issue was that both springs were yellow and difficult to tell apart.

I'm not sure how to trouble shoot turbo waste gates, I went the smarter route and went with a supercharger :stir:;)
These guys are turbo'd masochists, maybe they can help @90sickfox @RacEoHolic330 @hoopty5.0

Second jrichker's advice. I had all sorts of problems even lesser boost back in the day until I studded the heads. Highly recommend confirming heads/deck/block are all ok and getting studs.
I'm running 11psi on 28 year old HG's and bolts and I pray every time :eek:. I will soon be doing the "one at a time" stud swap.

Reactions: 1 user
Check the intake pressure hose to the wastegate. If there's a leak, the wastegate will never overcome the spring. Think it's on the bottom side of the WG(?). If you have an EBC, double check its settings.

If there's nothing wrong with the WG spring, hoses, or pressure source, then I'd wonder about its position and size.

I don't blame you for trying to get away without doing the HG. It's more work than new lower intake gaskets. I might try that too, but would be very careful. God forbid there's a bad enough blown headgasket to leak a bunch of coolant that hydrolocks the motor or something. Might not be a bad idea to pull the plugs, disconnect injectors and turn the motor over to get any coolant out.

Reactions: 1 user