Opened up my '97 Cobra on the highway last night....and W-O-W.

Craig Mack

Busted Buffing the Bishop
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2002
Lake Mary, FL
I got my Cobra about a month ago, at which time it had a messed up tranny. The transmission was repaired about two weeks ago, and a spec stage I clutch was put in. Well, I was at 500 miles so I figured it was well enough broken in for some nice highway runs. I was at about 70mph when I dropped it into third...and DAMN! :banana: It pulled HARD. There was a newer Z28 that wanted to play around, as we would take turns doing high speed passes beside each other. There wasn't enough room to run him directly though, but one of the times he went when I went, and I had to slow down in order for him to catch up. I seriously felt like I could have taken him by at least a car last night.

The only mods I have is an x-pipe and flows, and I am VERY impressed with how this car pulls on the highway. It just keeps pulling harder and harder. Even in 4th gear at 80mph, around 3500rpm, it pulled very hard, harder then my vortech V1 Maxima @10psi. I'm soo happy with it, words cannot describe the joy. :nice:

Yesterday I was caravaning over to a friends house, and I barked 3rd gear shifting at 5800rpm. We got to a stoplight and my friend goes, "give it a revv!" so I revved up to 7000rpm, at a stoplight, with cars everywhere. :nice: He said it sounded even better hearing it from another car versus inside the cobra.

First gear is a little too long for my tastes, that's the only "complaint", if you would even call it that, that I have with this car. I feel that I gained some significant top end with the x-pipe, becuase this car seriously pulls HARD, especially on the highway.

Now i'm extremely hesistant to get gears. The car pulls soo hard with my stock gears, I don't want to mess a good thing up by changing the ratios! I want to be able to downshift into third gear on the highway with some usable RPM. I can safely say that the fierce acceleration of the Cobra has now made me once again, fear the gear.

• Sponsors (?)

blk32V said:
You wuss, get 4.30s and be thrown back into your seat hard while going through 1-4 gears!!! That is a great feeling! They pull HARD! Get some gears and you will not be disappointed.

Tim

laugh.gif

I had another escapade tonight:

Was on the way back from a friends house, and ran into a newer silver WS6 trans am on the highway. We would take turns flying by eachother. Finally we got beside eachother, around 80mph. I was in 4th gear. We both nail it, and stay dead even until ~110-120mph, where I let off becuase we come to an overpass (bridge) and I get scared i'd crash.

I am happy with the snake. It just seems like it pulls harder and harder. It pulls about the same in 3rd gear as the old boosted max did, and significantly harder in 4th past 80mph. Last night it was the LS1, and now the WS6, although I didn't really get a "fair" race with the Camaro.

I thought I would get PWn3D by both of them, but that definately wasnt the case.

My old Maxima (95-99's) come with 3.90 gears stock. I never knew that. Another Max guy told me to go 4.10's too. If my Cobra now can pull as hard/harder then my old s/c'ed max with 3.90's, I can't imagine with 4.10's. :hail2:

Attachments

• laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    145 bytes · Views: 99