Opinions/Advice Please

VAFOX

Apr 13, 2011
I have an 88' GT that was changed over to a carb'd motor. The a/c was stripped off when this was done (all prior to my purchase).

Should I spend my money on a/c or a paint job?

I live in Virginia (near VA Beach). I change my mind every day.

As far as a/c...what would I need to do being that the previous stuff was stripped off and the motor is not a stock setup?

• Sponsors (?)

Thats a tough question to answer, it just depends on your priorities. I pulled my a/c just because it didnt work and I prefer to drive on hot summer days with my windows down. So for me paint would be a priority over a/c. But thats me. But then again I put performance over paint too. just my $.02

If you search well, there is no reason you can't do both.
Some people literally give away the A/C parts. There is always is some jackass removing the air conditioning instead of spending a couple of dollars to get it going again.

If you search well, there is no reason you can't do both.
Some people literally give away the A/C parts. There is always is some jackass removing the air conditioning instead of spending a couple of dollars to get it going again.

I was thinking I would have to buy new parts because from what I've read, I am not going to be able to buy freon let alone have the equipment to put it in correctly. I was looking at the conversion kit at LRS:

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Air Conditioner (A/C) Conversion Kit, R-12 To R-134A, With Stock Length Belt at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I don't have that much cash and your idea sounds a lot better to me. What would be the best way to go about putting in the refridgerant?

PM on the compressor

I was thinking I would have to buy new parts because from what I've read, I am not going to be able to buy freon let alone have the equipment to put it in correctly. I was looking at the conversion kit at LRS:

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Air Conditioner (A/C) Conversion Kit, R-12 To R-134A, With Stock Length Belt at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I don't have that much cash and your idea sounds a lot better to me. What would be the best way to go about putting in the refridgerant?

PM on the compressor

search Jrickers how to's, he's got a full write up on converting to 134 refrigerant.

Pretty easy to buy R-12

$25 open book online test, wait for your cert to show up and then it's about $25 per can for R-12 off ebay. R-134a is about $12/can now

OR, you can tell the seller you will be giving the cans to a certified tech and bypass the need to have the cert yourself. Shady practice, but it's what I did as i don't like giving out my cert number. I am certified, but just said i would give it to a tech. They shipped no prob.

There are a few lines that should be bought new. The accumulator, and the orifice tube. And generally an compressor that has seen R-12 should be completely flushed before attempting to retrofit with r-134a

Thats a tough question to answer, it just depends on your priorities. I pulled my a/c just because it didnt work and I prefer to drive on hot summer days with my windows down. So for me paint would be a priority over a/c. But thats me. But then again I put performance over paint too. just my $.02

I also would do paint over AC, although AC would cost a lot less. AC is the only thing on my 93 GT that doesn't work. It's still functional, just needs charging. 4 years later I still haven't found a day hot enough to make me consider AC a priority.