opinions needed on black bullet 17x9 DD wheels...

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
wanting to try something different on my 95-

i think i have my cobra rs sold so im wanting a set of black bullets but i dont want to do the 17x9s / 17x10.5s. just dont want to run a 315

i have found a set of 17x9 black bullets that are deep dish with a 24mm offset. i would run a 275 / 40 all the way around.....just worried if it will "stick out" from the front fender. the car is red and i want to paint or get a black wing, already have front blackouts. like i said, something a little different. just lowered the car as well. im thinking in my mind this will look killer. my main concern is the 275s in the front.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-9...tegoryZ43957QQihZ017QQitemZ270004812210QQrdZ1

• Sponsors (?)

I have ESSENZA 210 type R tires 255/45 R-17's on mine and they will rub on the front if I crank them all the way.

How much do you plan to lower the car?

Mine aren't deep dish, but here is a recent pic.

06powertour0094.jpg

I have Black Cobra R's with deep dish in the back, and 9 in on trhe front with 315's out back and 255's up front. I have heard of some peopel running 275's with no problems, and some people running 265's with rubbing. Every car is different.

Go with 315's man. The ass shot is AWESOME.

gcomfx.com said:
I have ESSENZA 210 type R tires 255/45 R-17's on mine and they will rub on the front if I crank them all the way.

06powertour0094.jpg

ive got 255/45s now on it and its already dropped ( 2" front / 1.8" back ) and have NO rubbing issues.

car looks good bro :nice:

I'm with the other guys, those don't look "deep dished" to me. They could easily make it that way if they would just take the additional 1.5" difference between the 9" and 10.5" wheel from the backspacing and leave everything else alone. Hmm... may there be a market for such a wheel???

Thanks! Guess I should specify, since many remove the item mine slightly rubs on. LOL Mine shows a slight rub on the front sway bar where it curls back. Nothing major, basically keeps a little spot clean, and doesn't hurt the tire. It could have been from when I auto-x the car once too. :D

SeventyMach1 said:
I have the same wheels up front that are in that eBay ad. I would not consider them deep dish.

yea the wheels do have a dish, but not a significant one. the "standard" bullet 17x8s and 17x9s are more lipped i think rather than dished.

but i know these bullets' dish dont compare to the dish that comes on the 10.5 version but thats what im looking for....sort of a in-between a lip and a dish.

i guess the 275s in the front is a guess and check thing. like i said, the 255s i have now dont rub at all and they are a 45 series. if i go 40 series with a 275, i almost think i might be ok

fiveoho said:
yea the wheels do have a dish, but not a significant one. the "standard" bullet 17x8s and 17x9s are more lipped i think rather than dished.

but i know these bullets' dish dont compare to the dish that comes on the 10.5 version but thats what im looking for....sort of a in-between a lip and a dish.

Now I know what you're talking about. I compared my front's to a regular factory Bullitt wheel. There is a little more lip/dish to mine (like an inch). I have the same B/S as those, too. Currently running a 255/45/17 and there are NO problems at all. No modifications. Going to get some 265/40/17's though & I hope for the same.

SeventyMach1 said:
Now I know what you're talking about. I compared my front's to a regular factory Bullitt wheel. There is a little more lip/dish to mine (like an inch). I have the same B/S as those, too. Currently running a 255/45/17 and there are NO problems at all. No modifications. Going to get some 265/40/17's though & I hope for the same.

pretty happy with the looks?

love to see some pics if you got a few bro...ive seen ur car from the back - which looks freakin awesome. got any front wheel/tire pics?

fiveoho said:
pretty happy with the looks?

Yes .... and no. I like the wheels of course. I just can't stand the tires I got. If I was to curb something, it would eat my wheel up because the tire is so narrow. That's why I'm gonna move up to 265/40's & see if that helps. I'll also be A LOT happier next week when I lose the 4x4 look.

fiveoho said:
love to see some pics if you got a few bro...ive seen ur car from the back - which looks freakin awesome. got any front wheel/tire pics?

Thanks for the compliment. I don't think I've got any good shots of the front. Let's see what I can dig up .....

Sorry, this is the best can do for now.

DSC01629.jpg

DSC01634.jpg

41.jpg

stuff036.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01629.jpg
    DSC01629.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01634.jpg
    DSC01634.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 99
  • stuff036.jpg
    stuff036.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 96
thanks for the pics bro. car looks sick. but you're worrying me to death with those 255s in the front. i see what you are saying now, youd curb the crap out of them easily. those are way to sweet to be doing that!

does that make logical sense what i mentioned earlier or is it still just a guessing game: i have 255/45s now with absolutely no rubbing. if i go 275/40s ( with the shorter sidewall ) i stand a pretty good chance that it will clear as well?

I think alot of it's personal preference ... and some things have to be a guessing game.

Some people run 255/45's and love them. I think NC_stang_girl is running them & likes them. I think she has factory Bullitts, though.

Here's my reasoning for not wanting a 275. Again, this is personal preference. With a 275, you will feel the road alot more (however, some like this). If you have bumpsteer problems, I imagine them not helping. And then there is the clearance issue that is unknown. Tire brands play a major role.

All I know is that the 255/45 Sumitomo HTRZ-II's that I'm running are too narrow for my Bullitts. So I'll be bumping up a size wider. And while I'm at it, I'm getting a little less side wall (for looks).

Keep in mind .... width plays a factor in sidewall. The aspect ratio # is NOT a size. It's the ratio of the sidewall height to the tire width. So that makes matters even more confusing.

SeventyMach1 said:
I think alot of it's personal preference ... and some things have to be a guessing game.

Some people run 255/45's and love them. I think NC_stang_girl is running them & likes them. I think she has factory Bullitts, though.

Here's my reasoning for not wanting a 275. Again, this is personal preference. With a 275, you will feel the road alot more (however, some like this). If you have bumpsteer problems, I imagine them not helping. And then there is the clearance issue that is unknown. Tire brands play a major role.

All I know is that the 255/45 Sumitomo HTRZ-II's that I'm running are too narrow for my Bullitts. So I'll be bumping up a size wider. And while I'm at it, I'm getting a little less side wall (for looks).

Keep in mind .... width plays a factor in sidewall. The aspect ratio # is NOT a size. It's the ratio of the sidewall height to the tire width. So that makes matters even more confusing.

yea that whole sidewall % of the width thing. i guess i wont know till i try. :shrug:

I have 17x9's in the front with 245/45's but I read in a magazine somewhere that you will have clearance problems with 275/40's in the front. My car is lowered a lot though; not sure how much. I have 17x10.5's in the rear with 275/40's and they rub now if I hit a bump too hard. I know that most 275/40's and 245/45's are both 25.7 inches tall so they're exactly the same height; just different widths. I want to put 315/35's on the back but since the 275's are rubbing a little bit I'll probably have to raise the back end up a little bit. Just to fit the 17x10.5's on the back I had to flip the quad shock. Also the 275's on the 10.5's aren't quite wide enough and the lip of the wheel is sticking out a little which ain't good...

gcomfx.com said:

06powertour0094.jpg
Nice car I love the black bullitt wheels! :nice:

what i really want, no one makes. i want a 17x9 deep dish black bullet in the back and a 17x8 non dish in the front.

i can however get 17x9 non dd and 17x8 non dd black bullets....i think. i know one place i called ( OE wheels i think it was ) said that the DD 17x9 spokes are shaped differently than the 17x8s. but i THINK www.50resto.com has the 17x8 and 17x9 non dd and the spokes match.

i just think a 255 tire looks better on a 8" wheel. and run a 275 on the back 9".

wonder what would look better:

17x9 DD with a 24mm offset all the way around wrapped in 275/40s and 3/4" spacers out back

or

17x9 non DD /17x8 non DD with a 24mm offset in the back and a 30mm in the front. 255/40s in the front. 275/40s out back

?

Pennywise2 said:
Nice car I love the black bullitt wheels! :nice:

Thanks.... I've had the black bullitts for quite a while. Way before they came out with the Deep Dish. :rolleyes: I went back to my parents house to visit once and I told dad I was ordering BLACK wheels and he about had a fit. I just told him to trust me. When I rolled in a few months later, you could tell he was extremely surprised and impressed. :nice: