Engine Opinions On Head Gasket Job Please!

Anthonyryan86

Jul 4, 2016
2004 4.6 and the head gasket took a :poo:, the heads are off and going to the shop but I'm contemplating removing the rest of the block from the car for reassembly and possibly sending that to the shop also.

After looking at everything there doesn't seem to be any damage to the heads/block or internals but I figure with going this far to give everything else a good once over. Also there is an oil pan gasket leak that I could knock out in the process.

It seems the block is only held on at the mounts and trans. Could I just crack it loose there and raise it out? How much of a pain would it be to mate it with the transmission again?

The car has about 124k on it and I really do not want to tear it apart again after reassembly

• Sponsors (?)

Now is the time to do a complete rebuild...maybe some upgrades. Mating to the trans is not a big issue....if manual, replace clutch and associated parts.....if automatic, consider uparading it too.

That's what it is looking more and more like as I add up the parts list. The clutch is only about 6 months old but I am going to change the transmission oil and pinion seal on the diff. Would I need a clutch alignment tool when mating the engine back with the transmission?