ORDERED PYPES HIGH FLOW CATS TODAY .. WILL IT HELP

rispoli_23

Jul 7, 2008
(videos uploaded)ORDERED PYPES HIGH FLOW CATS TODAY .. WILL IT HELP

well i just ordered some pypes high flow cats from am and i hope it will help with my strong exhaust smell but i hope i dont loose to much sound ... anyone have these on there car ??? what should i expect ???

thanks

videos are now uploaded let me know what u guys think

• Sponsors (?)

i have magnaflow high fllow cats....and it does help the smell alot. it also smooths out the exhaust sound quite a bit. i dont know what exhaust setup you were running but i have a bassani x-pipe into some flowmaster super 44's. it sounded like ball bearings in a coffee can at certain RPMs and on deceleration. tossed in the cats and it fixed it and made it sound even better than expected.

I went from an o/r MAC h-pipe to a Magnaflow catted x-pipe (both with the flowpath catback), and IMO the sound of my exhaust is 100x's better with the catted x and it doesn't smell like chit. I think you'll be quite happy with the cat's :nice:

thanks guys thats exactly what i was hoping to hear ... and i am running the jegs o/r h pipe with supper 44s also .... my exhaust guy is not happy with me right now because i ordered the the pypes cats instead of getting magnaflow cats from him lol .... what do you guys think are better magnaflow or pypes ???

I really like the quality of the Magnaflow products. As I said earlier I had the MAC midpipe and while it fit fine, the quality of the welds and materials were worlds better on the Magnaflow mid pipe. I haven't seen any of the Pypes cats, but I really like the fact that that the Magnaflow stuff is stainless steel.

The cats should make a difference. Also ask for them to check for any exhaust leaks. My car smells even though it has cats because it has a small exhaust leak between the headers and the midpipe. I've been meaning to fix it but haven't had the time lately.

All universal Ceramic cats are pretty much the same internally. It's just he outer shell that looks different. Both Stainless, both 300 cell. You'd be pleased either way.

:nice: I have no personal experience with your products but FWIW I've heard nothing but good things about your stuff.

For what its worth, i took a few snap shots a while ago of one Pypes cat-converter that my dad is planning on installing. The quality of them are awesome. I feel like now is a good chance to showcase those pictures:

CRW_2837.jpg

CRW_2835.jpg

CRW_2832.jpg

yeah i have done some more research and i think i will be happy with the pypes cats ... those pics are great too thanks ill for sure let everyone know how it turns out oh and i already had my exhaust guy check for leaks and im all good so thats when i decided to get the cats ... oh and he wanted 160 a piece for the magnaflow cats i was like what the hell lol and since we have pypes in the thread i hate to change the subject but in the spring i plan on getting some long tubes how is the fitment for the pypes long tubes ???

the spring i plan on getting some long tubes how is the fitment for the pypes long tubes ???
Fyi,
If you are going with LT headers, we highly recommend upgrading to metallic substrate cats. With LT's, you normally need a tune. If the tune is not just right, you can melt ceramic cats.

btw, the Pypes LT's are very similar design to the Kook's headers and both get great compliments for their fit.

yeah i have done some more research and i think i will be happy with the pypes cats ... those pics are great too thanks ill for sure let everyone know how it turns out oh and i already had my exhaust guy check for leaks and im all good so thats when i decided to get the cats ... oh and he wanted 160 a piece for the magnaflow cats i was like what the hell lol and since we have pypes in the thread i hate to change the subject but in the spring i plan on getting some long tubes how is the fitment for the pypes long tubes ???

:eek: :eek: 160 each?????

my good friend/mechanic got them at $45 and they came in a pretty magnaflow box and everything. your exhaust guy is trying to make big bucks on you!!!!!

i have magnaflow high fllow cats....and it does help the smell alot. it also smooths out the exhaust sound quite a bit. i dont know what exhaust setup you were running but i have a bassani x-pipe into some flowmaster super 44's. it sounded like ball bearings in a coffee can at certain RPMs and on deceleration. tossed in the cats and it fixed it and made it sound even better than expected.

DEFINITELY smooths out the exhaust sound. I have been through (all of these with a standard Magnaflow catback): Magnaflow O/R X, Magnaflow Catted X, and BBK O/R H with longtubes.

Out of those 3 setups, the catted X had the best sound to it, and wasn't that much quieter than my O/R X. As far as smell I never really noticed because I have always ran offroad pipes on both of my mustangs. This one happened to come with the catted X. Kinda wish I had kept it on before I went to longtubes.

DEFINITELY smooths out the exhaust sound. I have been through (all of these with a standard Magnaflow catback): Magnaflow O/R X, Magnaflow Catted X, and BBK O/R H with longtubes.

Out of those 3 setups, the catted X had the best sound to it, and wasn't that much quieter than my O/R X. As far as smell I never really noticed because I have always ran offroad pipes on both of my mustangs. This one happened to come with the catted X. Kinda wish I had kept it on before I went to longtubes.

x2! I've got a Magnaflow catted x and a Magnaflow catback, and I LOVE the sound!

x2! I've got a Magnaflow catted x and a Magnaflow catback, and I LOVE the sound!

Post up a video when you get the chance :) I never got the chance to make one of my car and I'd like to hear how it sounded.

I just remember when I made the change, as far as sound, I was like damn I should have kept the catted X...

I do really like the sound of the H-pipe with longtubes though too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddcdwnR3agE

Hey guys got the cats on today and the exhaust is alot smoother and the strong exhaust smell did go away but there is a funky smell now I assume it is the cats ... how long do u think it will last ... oh and I do like the sound of my exhaust now except u can't hear my cams as much at idle now which sux ... maybe ill get some different mufflers ... what u guys think