Ordering a SLP Loud Mouth ll, X-Pipe or Cats?

budguy211

Apr 16, 2004
I am sure you have you all have seen this question a million times, but I could not find anything on this so I am getting ready to order a SLP Loud Mouth ll, should I keep my stock cats, or go with the x pipe? Is it even worth the swap? Is there much HP difference? I have no emissions here in FL so it does not matter if I have a x pipe. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

budguy211 said:
I am sure you have you all have seen this question a million times, but I could not find anything on this so I am getting ready to order a SLP Loud Mouth ll, should I keep my stock cats, or go with the x pipe? Is it even worth the swap? Is there much HP difference? I have no emissions here in FL so it does not matter if I have a x pipe. Thanks.

I would go with the X pipe, with the LMIIs the offroad X sounds great with. I havnt hear them with the stock H though. But I think it wouild defiantly be worth changing over. You should notice a increase in power but not that much.

go with the O/R X. It sounds great with the LMII's (wink wink, nudge nudge) and theres a 5-10hp gain over your stock H-pipe. I would go with a VRS O/R X as they are cheaper ($) but just as high quality as SLP, Dr. Gas, etc.

budguy211 said:
Not to sound stupid, but what is a VRS X??? Never heard of it. I was looking at SLP's X... like $374. Little much huh?

You are looking at the catted x for 374. Imo the slp x is one of the best buys because you won't need a new mid pipe if you decide to do long tubes. O/R x's will gain you only a couple of hp over those with high flow cats so that is completely up to you whether you want cats or not. There is a huge difference between your stock h and its cats and the x with high flow cats on it.

reddrgn01gt said:
You are looking at the catted x for 374. Imo the slp x is one of the best buys because you won't need a new mid pipe if you decide to do long tubes. O/R x's will gain you only a couple of hp over those with high flow cats so that is completely up to you whether you want cats or not. There is a huge difference between your stock h and its cats and the x with high flow cats on it.
this is true as well. I recommended the VRS X a little prematurely. The SLP X is a great investment if Longtubes or the interchangeability of cats and off-road pipes are in your future plans. The only downside is that if you do decide on LT's, they will have to be SLP LT's, which go for $700+. UNLESS, you know of a competent exhaust shop that could fabricate ball/socket joints to match SLP's X-pipe to say, BBK or Mac LT's. Of course thats more money for parts and labor, and you're still hoping everything aligns properly. its a judgement call on your part, in which you have to consider what YOU want now, and possibly in the future.

http://www.vrsexhaust.com/

True X-pipes, available in aluminized or stainless, with or without cats, shorty or Mac/BBK LT header applications.

Well, I really don't care for LT's very much, I have had them on my fox's and they are in a pain in the ass if you have to change your starter, as an example. If I even do put headers on it will be shorties, but from reading some threads, the stock one are almost as good, and I plan on super charging the in the future, so I am looking at the big picture. Thanks for all the input and a link to the VRS site. Any more info would be helpful since this is my first non fox body stang.